Author Topic: YSU vs Detroit  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU vs Detroit
« on: February 11, 2022, 09:45:44 PM »
YSU won 82-69. Akuchie had another great game.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs Detroit
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 12:37:28 AM »
This team is playing really, really well right now.  The last 2 games were as good of wins as you're going to get against quality teams in this league.  YSU has beaten the teams they should beat this year and that Wright St win that stopped the heartbreaking losses was the first win against a good team.  Now to cap off a 6 game win streak beating Oakland & Detroit shows this team can beat anyone.  I kept saying early in the year that this team could play with anyone.  They were with PSU until the last 6 mins of the game, the first Oakland game you had that ridiculous 22-0 run in 3 mins, and were within 1 of WVU until the 2nd half.  Outside of those 3 situations, YSU has either won or been in every game until the end.  Now they just need to finish the weekend off beating Robert Morris and look forward to 2 more home games next week against UIC & IUPUI.

Akuchie was unbelievable tonight.  Had he not missed a couple early shots in the paint and almost had a couple others go when he got fouled he could have scored 40+.  Olison and Cohill continue to play great. Shemar had a nice game and did a good job against Davies.  The fact Davis only made one 3 and YSU was great at the FT line was the big difference.  And even though YSU turned it over 12 times compared to 6 by Detroit, YSU actually turned them into 10 points compared to just 6 by Detroit. 

I think Coach has done a great job of coaching these games during this win streak.  Good game plans, good usage of timeouts, and great job at managing who's playing.  Some of those games early on it just felt like he had to play everyone rather than who was playing well and who was hot.  I notice Coach is always complimentary of the bench guys and what they do for the team in practice.  Akuchie mentioned it as well in his presser. 

It's too bad RMU couldn't have knocked off Oakland tonight as they only lost by 3.  Milwaukee upset Wright State.  NKU just keeps on winning.  YSU is now 5th in the standings only a 1/2 game out of 4th and 1 game back of 2nd place Oakland basically (2 more losses).  PFW is the team that concerns me.  They will probably beat UIC at home on Saturday to tie YSU for 5th, but they have the tiebreaker. 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 10:58:07 AM »
I'm just enjoying the winning streak and hopefully they can extend the wins.    What can you say about Akuchie.  Good things happen to guys that STAY loyal to the program.   The bench got very short last night with only three getting minutes and Luke only got 4 minutes so basically only 7 played.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 04:00:17 PM »
Really impressed with our performance. At times we tried to use up the clock the last 7 minutes or so of the game and were able to get fairly good shoots with just a little time on the 30 second clock. Not so in the past. Lots of good play by DC, TO, MA, SM, and MH. And WD, LC, and DO are contributing.  A short bench for sure, but it is working.  I am really impressed with Dwayne Cohill in crunch time handling the ball and getting good shots and making them. And the foul shooting at the end has been strong by all. And Michael Akuchie was really outstanding inside and out. DO scares me at the end getting fouled and going to the line, but so far it hasn't got us. And the full court press by these teams at the end of the game is scary and working quite often. Need to improve there. But overall really good compared to our past. Lets hope it continues.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 05:43:09 PM »
I am glad that Akuchie has had the opportunity to show what he can do this year. Last year, Naz was the go to guy on the inside  Nan’s departure gave MA the chance to showcase his ability.

He is couple of inches taller and with a better shooting touch. He also has better outside shots than Naz, especially from 3 point range.

I still think we could have won at least 4 more games at this stage if Covington did not get hurt.
I have also heard there is chance that Akuchie and Covington might be able to come back for the 6th year. Does anyone know if that is possible?

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 12:08:34 AM »
I am glad that Akuchie has had the opportunity to show what he can do this year. Last year, Naz was the go to guy on the inside  Nan’s departure gave MA the chance to showcase his ability.

He is couple of inches taller and with a better shooting touch. He also has better outside shots than Naz, especially from 3 point range.

I still think we could have won at least 4 more games at this stage if Covington did not get hurt.
I have also heard there is chance that Akuchie and Covington might be able to come back for the 6th year. Does anyone know if that is possible?

Agree with what you said here. At the very least I think YSU beats SIU, CSU at least once & NKU and probably Niagara.

Coach mentioned early in the year that it sounded like Covington may be able to come back. He did joke about Akuchie after the game coming back but I can't imagine how.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 01:57:34 PM »
Well! We pissed that one out the window against Robert Morris!