Author Topic: YSU vs Oakland  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU vs Oakland
« on: February 09, 2022, 09:10:51 PM »
MBB: YSU over Oakland 78-71 tonight. Cohill had a good game.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs Oakland
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 09:29:31 PM »
Huge win!  Have to take care of the home court rest of the way!

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 09:44:04 PM »
Dwayne Cohill is the player who gets us over the top. He is great. And Tevon Olison is a close 2nd.  Too bad that our best players came from the portal and not recruiting, but they are both great to have on the team. I am convinced that DC is better than DQ by a large margin for us. And our other players are contributing making us a good team at this point. Hope it continues.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 10:05:07 PM »
Cohill, Shelton are listed as juniors!  Hope they stay!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 01:55:25 AM »
That was an impressive win.  YSU played a complete game from start to finish against one of the best teams in the league and until recently would say was the best team in the league.  Every time Oakland chewed into the lead, YSU hit timely shots and never let them get over the top.

Cohill is playing unbelievable right now and Olison has been tremendous.  Also, Myles Hunter has really been playing well of late.  Those 3 I feel have been the key to this win streak.  When YSU was struggling, Cohill or Olison might have a good game, but generally not both and wasn't getting production from Hunter. 

I also thought for the 2nd straight game, Owen Long has come in and made some big timely 3 pointers.  And for YSU to have 20 assists is amazing.  Chicone did a great job of distributing the ball and 7 assists is tremendous.  Those assists were key to beating that zone.  Coach said in the pre-game that YSU needed to pass the ball well to win. 

Will Dunn has cooled off the last 2 games, you have to wonder if Hunter has worked his way back into the starting role although maybe you keep going with what's working.

The first game with Oakland was strange.  It was neck and neck and there was that shot clock malfunction which caused a long delay.  Oakland scored like 22 points in 3 mins and YSU ended up losing by 15. 

YSU didn't get any help as Detroit, NKU & Wright State all won tonight, and PFW plays against IUPUI at home so that's pretty much a lock and probably even them up with YSU in a tie for 6th, but 3-7 in the standings are all right there.  The game against Detroit Friday is huge then on Sunday you have Detroit playing Oakland and NKU playing Wright St., and on Monday PFW playing CSU. 

Also, Horizon League announced UIC isn't going to be eligible to play in the Horizon League tournament, which I don't agree with. That's tough for those kids. So that means the top 5 seeds will now get a first round bye with the 5th seed playing at the 4th seed in the quarterfinals. 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 08:08:57 PM »
Good posts from everyone that have touched on what I was thinking.  Mud,that's bush league what the Horizon is doing to UIC unless there's some sort of breach of contract that we're no privy to.

Love the way Olison and Cohill are playing.   Olison can hit the 3 but he's really efficient scoring around the rim. I would bet that he has the highest vertical on the team.   Cohill can get down hill fast and use either hand going to the hoop and now he's been showing a more consistent three ball.

Hunter is an X factor.  It's a big bonus when he's making shots that makes the defense more pressured.  He has that high release point that looks like when he gets set that he can bury the shot at will especially around 15' and in.

Owen Long has played good lately and I think that he has to put in his mind that he has to be on the attack and good things will happen.

The Mayes/Chicone point guard play was good last night.  Luke made some great passes.  His best basketball is ahead of him and that's exciting.    Will Dunn was quiet last night.  Look forward to seeing him stay confident and have some more big games.
Where was Chris Shelton?   With Oakland playing zone I thought he would get some minutes.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 09:43:22 PM »
Had a chance to watch the game this afternoon, very good effort. Good to see them hang tough to the final buzzer. Good win against a good team.

About UIC, it is my understanding that the league contract requires 1 year notice when leaving the league. UIC did not do that so  that's life!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 11:28:18 PM »
YSU really needs to care of business on the home court these next four games!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 11:41:14 PM »
Yes it appears UIC didn't give proper notice and according to the Horizon League all of the schools agreed to that including UIC.

Olison's vertical is amazing, and Cohill's speed has impressed me from day one.  Seems like this team is jelling.

Hate to keep bringing it up, but imagine where this team might be if Covington was still playing.  I really think they could be competing for the championship.

Hunter of late has been playing like how I thought he would coming off last year.  He's got a great mid range shot.

WOW UIC beat CSU at Cleveland tonight.  PFW keeps winning.  Even winning 5 straight, YSU is still basically the 7th seed as they are tied for 6th but PFW won both games; however 3rd place Oakland has the same amount of wins as YSU, but 2 less losses. It's crazy that Detroit has played 5 less games than some teams.

Shelton struggled early in the year and then got going there for a bit, but seems to have struggled again when he was playing.  He led the nation I believe in 3-PT shooting last year at nearly 49% but has been under 33% this year.  He doesn't seem like he has a lot of speed and not great on the defensive end so with him struggling shooting the ball, I'm sure that's why he hasn't been playing of late and then throw in more mins for Will Dunn, Chicone, and Hunter again.  Coach did say him and Jamir need to be ready to go the rest of the weekend.  With 3 games in 5 days, you'd think he'll be getting some mins.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 03:23:02 PM »
And Of course, Right on cue they choke the Robert Morris game away

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2022, 06:08:59 PM »
Seems our league is nice -

The Horizon League’s Board of Directors voted today to restore eligibility of UIC student-athletes for all League Championships.

“I credit our League’s Board of Directors for prioritizing UIC’s student-athletes despite UIC leaders’ continued actions regarding their move to another conference,” said Commissioner Julie Roe Lach. “The response from UIC leaders has been disappointing, disingenuous, and inconsistent with our League values. At the end of the day, our League’s Board of Directors realized that UIC leaders were not going to take any action to restore eligibility for their student-athletes – including by making a simple request to the Missouri Valley Conference to enter in 2023. So our Board chose to exercise their authority to grant the student-athletes an exception to the agreed-upon bylaw.” 
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2022, 06:47:48 PM »
We better get ready for them this week or we will have a two-game losing streak!