YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU - WVU MBB

<< < (2/2)

Dmorton:
Agree! Was hoping to compete!  Two toughies coming up in Michigan!

guinpen:
Well that was not fun, first game I got to watch this year and I turned it on at half-time.

mudclods:
Thought YSU was locked in the first half but didn't take advantage of WVU shooting so poorly and missed a lot of good looks.  They could have jumped out to sizable lead, but surely would have taken being down only 1 at the half if you had asked them that before the game.

Losing Shemar didn't help, but the full court press absolutely killed them in the second half.  WVU brought the intensity and couldn't miss in the second half.  YSU looked gassed and couldn't hit anything.  Even in the 2nd half YSU had a lot of wide open 3's they couldn't hit.  Ended the game 5-27 and I don't think many of them were contested. 

To hold WVU to 24 in the first half then give up 58 in the second half is mind blowing. 

Nothing from the keys to victory panned out.  Didn't score 70, turned the ball over (20), couldn't hit 3's and didn't get a big game from Akuchie, Cohill and/or Olison (18 points combined).  Fouling them also didn't pan out as they hit 25-34 for 73.5% well better than their 60.6% average.  And WVU entered the game at just 30.4% from 3 and they hit 46.7%.

Crazy that YSU out-rebounded them 39-32. 

I'd say the big positive is it didn't look like Shemar's injury was that serious as it certainly didn't look good when it happened.

Penquin68:
Just finished watching the replay of the game. Shemar was walking with a bit of a limp during the 2nd half so hopefully his injury is not too bad. In the 2nd half their full court pressure got us, especially without Shemar and Cohill in the game and the refs not really helping us at all with their pressure and lack of fouls called. But hopefully it will help us get that straight for future games. We got out of any offensive plan with deperation shots most of the time. I know WVU had long fast defenders, but I think it was also panic on our part and missing some key players due to foul trouble and injury. Need to make shots to be in any game and good shooting goes a long way at covering up other areas.  And the foul disparity was obvious and really hurt us. Some of he calls were questionable in my opinion.

I liked the play of Chris Shelton and hopefully he can be a significant part of our player rotation. He is long and can shoot. Miles Hunter and Daniel Ogoro have been up and down offensively so far and maybe he can be a big addition on days those players are not doing much offensively. Our lack of inside players doesn't seeem to hurt us as much as I thought it would. If we can rebound with WVU, we should be competive in the Horizon League.

We will see how we do this weekend at Oakland and Detroit who seem to be fairly good in the league. For us to have hope on the road in the league is different than most years for us.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version