YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU Central MI MBB

<< < (3/3)

chezmustache:

--- Quote from: YSUGO on December 09, 2021, 07:44:21 PM ---I watched the 14 minutes of the game first time i watched in over 2 years.  I said to myself we actually looked like a college basketball team.  After dealing with Slocum I feel we are on the right path.  It’s even tougher now the way the transfer rule is.  Sign Calhoun long term and overpay him.  I think he can get us to dance in time.

--- End quote ---

I agree with YSUGO in part.  Calhoun has elevated the program from habitual doormat in the Horizon League to middle of the pack.  He has not shown the ability to take us higher.  2020 - 2021 was a disappointment.  Calhoun was in his fourth year.  He had his players.  The Penguins had a veteran starting five, with the exception of Rathan - Mays.  Horizon League coaches picked them as the number three team preseason in the league.  They finished below .500.     

This year the Penguins are ranked 234 out of 358 Division I teams by Jeff Sagarin.  RPI has them at 273 of 358.  These are not ringing endorsements. 

Let's take a deeper look at Sagarin. 

Our wins were against:

SEMO ranked 287 of 358
St. Thomas ranked 332
Milwaukee ranked 278
Green Bay ranked 308
Central Michigan ranked 318

Losses were to:

Penn State ranked 68
SIUE ranked 293
Niagara ranked 213

Of eight games, the Penguins have played six against the bottom 71 teams, the lowest 20%.  And we lost one of those.  At home!  YSU's Sagarin strength of schedule is 345 of 358.  The results so far reflect uneven performance against the 14th weakest schedule in Division 1. 

We are what our record says we are.  It does not suggest Calhoun "can get us to the dance", at least not yet.       

ucfpengbuck:
Thank you chezmustache I feel worse.  Facts trump feelings.

Double ET:

--- Quote from: ucfpengbuck on December 10, 2021, 02:24:45 PM ---Thank you chezmustache I feel worse.  Facts trump feelings.

--- End quote ---

To make me feel better, how are the ladies ranked?

ucfpengbuck:

--- Quote from: Double ET on December 10, 2021, 03:44:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: ucfpengbuck on December 10, 2021, 02:24:45 PM ---Thank you chezmustache I feel worse.  Facts trump feelings.

--- End quote ---

To make me feel better, how are the ladies ranked?

--- End quote ---

I'm going to be the ahole poster on the women.   I hope i'm wrong but i don't see this team as some might.   Point guard works hard and is tough but very small.   Some really good outside shooter and one good post player.

Barnes has them scrapping,I just think they're like some of his past teams and once again I hope i'm wrong.   Glad they're undefeated and I'll cheer for them from afar.

Wick250:
I'm not going to get into a war involving two YSU sports teams. I will just say that some of us enjoy watching a basketball team that has a plan, balancing an inside and an outside game. And we appreciate a team that plays hard every game, not just when they feel like it.

Nothing reinforces my last point more than the men's lackluster effort in the MTE contrasted with the women somehow taking down Milwaukee and Green Bay without their post player.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version