YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Athletic Budget

<< < (2/7) > >>

Double ET:
So, if can’t reduce the budget, let enhance the revenue…… getting more butts (paying customers) in the seats, secure high payday with FBS team (s), donations from rich donors.
Like what we used to say in the private industries, you cannot save yourselves into prosperity and you can save into oblivion.

Run it like a business….starting with putting competitive products and promoting with a good marketing department. Currently, we are not doing well on both.

Go Penguins…

Wick250:
Some DIII schools have literally stayed open by EXPANDING the athletic programs. They attract marginally talented (DIII) athletes who pay tuition for the privilege of playing the sport that they love.

What does that have to do with us?  Plenty. Outside of football and basketball, there are very few scholarships offered, even in DI.  For example:

Men: 11.7 scholarships for baseball
         12.6 for track/cross country
          9.9  for swimming 
          4.5  for golf and tennis

Women: 12 for softball
              18 for track/cross country
              12 for volleyball
              14 for swimming
              12 for lacrosse
              14 for soccer

Bottom line. The vast majority of our athletes in non-revenue sports are paying vast amounts of tuition and enhancing the body count for our student body.  A few examples:

We have 32 lacrosse players on the roster, sharing just 12 scholarships
We have 40 baseball players sharing less than 12 scholarships
We have 56 male track athletes for less than 13 scholarships
We have 59 female track athletes for 18 scholarships

Of course these facts mean nothing to critics. They can't accept the fact that sports are vastly more important to the university than their unpopular, soon to be extinguished "pet" courses.

goodnews:
The status quo in the athletic department is to blame.  Although, I read an article where Rick Love indicated advertising dollars are back to pre-pandemic for Stambaugh Stadium.  If they have to cut a million dollars then each team takes less than a 10% hit. 

guinpen:
So many questions and no way to get good answers. How is it possible that so many D2 schools have been able to move up and be successful while we stay stagnant? How is it possible that so many of our old peers in 1AA have been able to move up and have at least moderate success while we stay stagnant.

In each case money had to be a factor, yet they all were able to do it. Are we so different in how we fund sports, I just cannot believe that is the case.

I would be surprised if our Athletic dept has not done feasibility studies on moving up. Would that be public info?

So are we simply just happy to stay where we are or is our Athleitic Dept unable to figure it out?

I have no idea on how much more we would have to pay coaches to attract so called better quality staff but I would think that 10,000 more butts at football games and 5000 more at M/W basketball games would go a long way to foot the bill.

Just a frustrated but loyal fan.

YSUGO:
The money isn’t there due to the state of Youngstown shrinking.  Companies are gone people have moved.  It will take years to get back the football attendance if it’s possible.  You diehards are stuck on being a football conference that doesn’t fit due to geography economics and fan base. Teams in our divison in football have less expenses smaller stadiums and are making the playoffs.  Being in the MVFC means sh** when you can’t compete.  It’s up to the AD to put us in a position for the athletes to be competitive to win.  We have a mediocre AD and the past 15 years we have been mediocre in most sports.  Starts at the top

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version