YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Athletic Budget

<< < (3/7) > >>

guinpen:
While listening to the game last Sat Hannon made the comment that Grand Forks had a population of 50 some thousand. I know that the State of Youngstown is shrinking but the Youngstown/Warren/New Castle/Sharon area certainly is larger then Grand Forks so at the very least we should have the population/money to compete where we are now.

YSU1:
The Fighting Hawks dome only seats 13,500

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: YSUGO on November 08, 2021, 08:59:58 PM ---The money isn’t there due to the state of Youngstown shrinking.  Companies are gone people have moved.  It will take years to get back the football attendance if it’s possible.  You diehards are stuck on being a football conference that doesn’t fit due to geography economics and fan base. Teams in our divison in football have less expenses smaller stadiums and are making the playoffs.  Being in the MVFC means sh** when you can’t compete.  It’s up to the AD to put us in a position for the athletes to be competitive to win.  We have a mediocre AD and the past 15 years we have been mediocre in most sports.  Starts at the top

--- End quote ---

I cannot completely agree here Go. Before Strollo we had no title-IX. we had no men's swimming (anymore), women's swimming was diving only (with just a few individual event competitors), no Men's tennis, No Bowling, no LAX, No outdoor Track & Field. We had no Softball field, no soccer/LAX stadium, no real weight rooms, our stadium could not broadcast a night game outside of our conference or a local-only broadcast (which meant daytime post-season games), the baseball team competed at a city park and another Colt-league field, while softball did the same on a little-league field). On top of this I think there are 5 new academic buildings on campus (which usually do not come when your sports are expanding) and tremendous expansion in existing athletic structures (which includes 3 field replacements in Stambaugh), WATTS added, and more. This is not even the same school as it was when he came. There is a tremendous amount more to being an AD then hiring coaches. Yet we have not seen a poor coaching choice, despite not having the funds for competitive salaries. I just do not see the same things you see. This is not the old days where Tressel got anything he wanted. This is reality of sports in a conference, with a scholarship DI football program. We have so many things that will attract and keep recruits that we never even dreamed of before ....especially cla$$es and quarters.

guinpen:

--- Quote from: YSUGO on November 08, 2021, 08:59:58 PM ---The money isn’t there due to the state of Youngstown shrinking.  Companies are gone people have moved.  It will take years to get back the football attendance if it’s possible.  You diehards are stuck on being a football conference that doesn’t fit due to geography economics and fan base. Teams in our divison in football have less expenses smaller stadiums and are making the playoffs.  Being in the MVFC means sh** when you can’t compete.  It’s up to the AD to put us in a position for the athletes to be competitive to win.  We have a mediocre AD and the past 15 years we have been mediocre in most sports.  Starts at the top

--- End quote ---

I for one have no interest in our current league, Was ok when it started as the Gateway but  with WK leaving and the addition of the newer schools things have changed. Not a matter of how good these schools are, they are just too far from us to generate interest. Not to mention the travel costs.

Kandrase:
The problem is where do we go? We’re on an FCS island. The nearby programs are only limited scholarship programs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version