YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

ISU

<< < (10/13) > >>

YSUGO:
People don’t care what conference you are in!  When YSU was D2 during the Narduzzi and Dempsey playoff runs Fitch stadium was full.  When we were an independent the stadium was full.  All programs need fare weather fans that is what fills the stands.  Winning creates excitement. Yes we will probably get some lineman etc.  but are we going to go 9-2 or even 8-3 and win a couple of league championships in 8 years.  I doubt it.

ytownchief22:
Small time coaches. They will not be successful here. This is not John Carroll....

As for recruiting, yes you may hit a few small time kids if you can develop but the staff has not shown they can do that either. Especially O and D line. They are recruiting mainly D2 players.

Kandrase:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on October 24, 2021, 11:28:11 AM ---Small time coaches. They will not be successful here. This is not John Carroll....

As for recruiting, yes you may hit a few small time kids if you can develop but the staff has not shown they can do that either. Especially O and D line. They are recruiting mainly D2 players.

--- End quote ---

To be fair... our last coach was big time and was also not successful here. Don't forget DP was hired in early 2020 and is still mostly working with a roster built from the last coaching staff. The decline of this program is just an extension of the trend we saw happening during Pelini.

If we're giving Wolford's recruiting credit for Pelini's 2016 title run than we should give Pelini's recruiting credit for DPs 2020 and 2021 seasons. I still think it's way too early to criticize this staff from a player and recruiting standpoint.

I was just reviewing 247 sports recruiting ranking and saw that we have a 3 star commit at linebacker from the cla$$ of 2022, 6-4 202lbs. That looks like D1 recruiting to me.

IAA Fan:
Do you think Crenshaw is the answer? His pa$$ing game will never be their because his height. You will be worried every single time he runs as to whether or not he is going to get up again.

The play-calling is sub-par. This is not going to change for some time to come. You do not mind a young team when you have experienced staff; but when your staff is just as inexperienced...what are you going to do?. I mean we are happy because the coaches finally see the need for some thunder in the backfield and then we put the QB in at shotgun depth? The back should have run up the middle with Craycratft pushing him from behind; or he should have been making a whole for Craycraft. In either case, THE QB SHOULD BE UP UNDER CENTER. This is HS fundamentals.

Did anyone else notice that the receivers could not catch many of Craycraft's more powerfully thrown pa$$es? Maybe this is something that will change with regular exposure, but it does make me kind of wonder if we have the improved receiving corps that we were thinking.

Line improvement is hard to call. ISU always has huge linemen and we struggle early.

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: YSUGO on October 24, 2021, 11:03:51 AM ---People don’t care what conference you are in!  When YSU was D2 during the Narduzzi and Dempsey playoff runs Fitch stadium was full.  When we were an independent the stadium was full.  All programs need fare weather fans that is what fills the stands.  Winning creates excitement. Yes we will probably get some lineman etc.  but are we going to go 9-2 or even 8-3 and win a couple of league championships in 8 years.  I doubt it.

--- End quote ---

IMO D2 today isn’t the D2 when we were in it. To go D2 now, or even OVC IMO, would be an irreversible retreat and an inch away from dissolving the program.

As I’ve commented before, there is lots of reason to believe that someday (soon) mathematics will matter and the MAC will cease to exist in its current form. At that time, opportunities may arise where a regional FCS conference is formed.

As a side note, our prior MCC and OVC partner, Akron, still lists YSU as a rival on Wikipedia.

The problem, of course, is our wildly incompetent  “ticketgate”, Slocum & Heacock contract renewing AD will certainly blow such opportunity when it arises.

Until the AD is under new leadership, which won’t happen for at least 10 years...the FB program will continue to languish. There is so much that is broken that there isn’t even one solution (like conference affiliation) that will make the program competitive again.

My goals for the program have been lowered to “please just don’t have more scandals.”

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version