YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

N. Iowa

<< < (12/12)

Wick250:

--- Quote from: penguinpower on October 04, 2021, 03:29:52 PM ---
--- Quote from: Double ET on October 04, 2021, 03:10:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: dwj on October 04, 2021, 02:15:32 PM ---The receiver was Eugene Baker who played in the NFL for the Facons.  He actually hung onto the ball and it was a completed pa$$ tough guy.

--- End quote ---
I was at that game. We completely outplayed KSU. Around the same period of time, we also creamed Ohio U. 30 to something. Didn’t the KSU’s QB go on to play in NFL as a receiver or RB or CB.

I don’t believe KSU refused to played future at at YSU. I thought couple things happened right after that season. First, there were some IA rules that prohibited 1A teams played at 1AA. Second, in ranking 1A teams, pollsters would not count victories over 1AA teams in calculating the national rankings , resulting in 1A teams not scheduling 1AA teams.
Eventually, NCAA allowed an additional game (12). The second restriction was then lifted a few years later.

Anyone remembers that?

--- End quote ---

I don't recall the circumstances as to why they wouldn't play a home and home, but I remember them notifying us about not having those games anymore, AFTER the beat down.

--- End quote ---

After Tressel's teams beat the MAC (Bowling Green, Ohio, Kent, Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan, Central Michigan, later Akron and Buffalo,) the conference passed a rule forbidding members from playing IAA teams on the road. We referred to it at the time as the "Youngstown Rule." The conference hoped that YSU, deprived of the opportunity to ever host Akron or Kent, would stop playing MAC schools entirely and thus put a stop to their embarrassment.  It worked.

Our last game against Kent was on the road during Heacock's tenure. Joshua Cribbs was the Kent quarterback. They beat us on a last minute field goal after we gave a brutally bad performance on offense behind the leadership of the forgettable quarterback, Aaron Marshall.

Wick250:

--- Quote from: YSU1 on October 04, 2021, 05:09:01 PM ---I say three letters......OVC

--- End quote ---

No thank you.  If the OVC survives, no sure thing, it would be the absolute weakest of the FCS scholarship conferences. We can't rebuild the program by playing junk.

What we need right now is for Murray State to join both the Missouri Valley Conference and the MVFC. They would be the twelve football member and the league could be split into divisions, six teams on each side of the Mississippi River.

Each year we would play everybody in our division: Indiana State, Illinois State, Western Illinois, Southern Illinois, and Murray State, plus three teams from the west.  That would cut down the insane travel somewhat and make our rebuild somewhat more manageable.

guinpen:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on October 04, 2021, 10:28:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: YSU1 on October 04, 2021, 05:09:01 PM ---I say three letters......OVC

--- End quote ---

No thank you.  If the OVC survives, no sure thing, it would be the absolute weakest of the FCS scholarship conferences. We can't rebuild the program by playing junk.

What we need right now is for Murray State to join both the Missouri Valley Conference and the MVFC. They would be the twelve football member and the league could be split into divisions, six teams on each side of the Mississippi River.

Each year we would play everybody in our division: Indiana State, Illinois State, Western Illinois, Southern Illinois, and Murray State, plus three teams from the west.  That would cut down the insane travel somewhat and make our rebuild somewhat more manageable.

--- End quote ---

I guess that would help a little. basically would eliminate the two year bye against teams that would be in our division. Still would need a better long term solution.

IAA Fan:
I thought that Murray State just inked a deal with the Horizon League?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version