YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

N. Iowa

<< < (11/12) > >>

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: Double ET on October 04, 2021, 03:10:48 PM ---
--- Quote from: dwj on October 04, 2021, 02:15:32 PM ---The receiver was Eugene Baker who played in the NFL for the Facons.  He actually hung onto the ball and it was a completed pa$$ tough guy.

--- End quote ---
I was at that game. We completely outplayed KSU. Around the same period of time, we also creamed Ohio U. 30 to something. Didn’t the KSU’s QB go on to play in NFL as a receiver or RB or CB.

I don’t believe KSU refused to played future at at YSU. I thought couple things happened right after that season. First, there were some IA rules that prohibited 1A teams played at 1AA. Second, in ranking 1A teams, pollsters would not count victories over 1AA teams in calculating the national rankings , resulting in 1A teams not scheduling 1AA teams.
Eventually, NCAA allowed an additional game (12). The second restriction was then lifted a few years later.

Anyone remembers that?

--- End quote ---

I don't recall the circumstances as to why they wouldn't play a home and home, but I remember them notifying us about not having those games anymore, AFTER the beat down.

guinpen:

--- Quote from: Kandrase on October 04, 2021, 12:16:22 PM ---
Well besides needing money, I'd also ask what the benefits of moving up are. Would that really increase game attendance or program interest? Maybe the regional rivalries would generate some interest but it's hard to tell. Look at NDSU, they could move into the big 12 today and compete, but they are content staying FCS. 

I was too young for the glory days of the 90s but were the Kent St and Akron games a big contribution to program interest? If so, the move would make sense but if not I don't see why we would move, even if we had the money.

--- End quote ---

My interest in moving up is to play schools that would be more interesting to the fans, Most interest would be with OH and MI schools now in the MAC so if they do not drop down we should move up. And if they still do not want us in the MAC it would be easier to play them non league.

Dropping to D2 is not an option.

YSU1:
I say three letters......OVC

YSU1:
Ohio Valley Conference exploring possible additions for departed members

YSUGO:
I agree about the Ohio Valley conference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version