YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Western Illinois

<< < (19/21) > >>

33Y0:

--- Quote from: Penguinesallin on September 29, 2021, 02:22:40 PM ---Crenshaw wasn't being recruited as a QB. he didn't have any offers in 2019 and just YSU in 2020.  Athletic kid but need to be a  RB.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, that's just completely false. If I'm not mistaken, he had offers from Kentucky, Cincinnati, Toledo, Louisville, Kent State, Georgia Tech, Akron, Boston College, and Indiana. Now, of course, many of those offers wanted him to play as an athlete, but to say that he didn't have any offers is just false.

Penguinesallin:
look it up its on 247sports.com.  I never said he didnt have offer just nothing after his sophomore year until the offer from YSU. I was just going by the 247sport time line.

Double ET:

--- Quote from: Penguinesallin on September 29, 2021, 02:22:40 PM ---Crenshaw wasn't being recruited as a QB. he didn't have any offers in 2019 and just YSU in 2020.  Athletic kid but need to be a  RB.

--- End quote ---
If I recall, he came here because we offered him as QB where other teams did not.
If we put him as RB or DB, he won’t stay. He came here to play QB.
The kid only played 3 games. Let us don’t throw in the towel yet. Bring in a good QB coach to work with him. The way I look at it, if we couldn’t make any significant improvements on both side of the ball, we probably will need to need some new assistant coaches anyway.

peteonastick:
Ok - I stewed long enough.  It is a rebuild - we knew that coming in to the season.  The key is to find bright spots on offense and defense and build on those and continue to coach up areas of weakness. One thing I do know...if a QB doesn't have time to throw a 5 or 7 step drop pass that some of you are complaining about - I don't care who is back at QB - it will be a mess.  I don't think we are at the point for Crenshaw to audible out of blitzes and recognize coverages yet.  That comes with experience. 

You want to stretch a defense - first you have to have the time to drop 5 steps, let the receivers get into the patterns and throw it.  When you can't drop back 5 or 7 because the defense is in your face, then forget throwing the deep ball.  This is Crenshaws third game in the toughest conference in the division.  We are rebuilding and O-line from nothing and Penislini left 0 depth at any position on the lines.  These games are exhausting with the new offenses and you need to be able to sub players that have the ability to get the job done - we are not there yet!  I still am a DP fan and like what he is doing...give him time.  Now we go on the road to UNI - anything can happen in this league!!

GO GUINS

admin:

--- Quote from: guinpen on September 29, 2021, 10:50:36 AM ---
--- Quote from: IAA Fan on September 28, 2021, 06:06:37 PM ---It is just clear to me that Phillips is going the route of changing the team immediately and letting them struggle and eventually work into the system. Which is fine if you have 3-4 years to wait. Wolford tried it and he just never made it in time to keep his job. (although he handicapped himself with a lousy DC initially) Maybe I am just impatient and/or want a coach we cannot afford. Both of these are probably true to a degree.

--- End quote ---

I think that Wolford was a decent recruiter and agree that his DC was a big handicap.  No one wants to wait 2-4 years to be great team, maybe DP is the guy maybe he is not, it is a killer to wait years to find out.

I just cannot understand why money is always an issue at YSU and not at other schools in our league, do we fund differently? Would a second money game make the difference?

--- End quote ---

I think the money issue is everywhere Guinpen. Think about it. Coach H was paid as high as $199k (I think just under. He was popular, so he was a part of several ad campaigns that gave a bit extra...but not much. (Leave in 2009). Now come Coach W with a salary in the low-to-mid $200k range. (Leaves in 2015) Then comes a big money coach in coach P. Now he did not need the money, but I think he had about $300k+ when they renewed. He left last year. Now BO was almost $1mil (with more than that is perks) when he was at Nebraska. Now had he been looking for his best opportunity, he would not have been here and CERTAINLY would not have taken such a small amount. He got 1mil as an OC after he left YSU. So you see where the talent value spread lies. A good coach can demand top dollars. We have to find someone that can do the job on the low end of that scale.

So we have to take a high-end guy with problems, or a low-end guy with no/little experience and potential

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version