YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Western Illinois

<< < (2/21) > >>

dwj:
We need to play better defense.  Our defense was good in the spring but this fall its seems to have taken a step back.  We can't stop the run or the pass.  We have talent on defense but I think the coaching is the problem.    3 man fronts puts no pressure on opposing QBs and allows the running backs to get into the second level.  Also covering receivers with LBs is not working.  Especially against UIW that had fast talented receivers. 

Also we need to open up the offense.  Our QB seems capable so give him a game plan that uses his talent.  #8 is talented but will not last long running the ball 25-30 times a game.

go guins:

--- Quote from: dwj on September 22, 2021, 10:21:56 AM ---We need to play better defense.  Our defense was good in the spring but this fall its seems to have taken a step back.  We can't stop the run or the pa$$.  We have talent on defense but I think the coaching is the problem.    3 man fronts puts no pressure on opposing QBs and allows the running backs to get into the second level.  Also covering receivers with LBs is not working.  Especially against UIW that had fast talented receivers. 

Also we need to open up the offense.  Our QB seems capable so give him a game plan that uses his talent.  #8 is talented but will not last long running the ball 25-30 times a game.

--- End quote ---
Your assessment of needing improved D is right, but Cameron Ward is best I've seen in years, and Big10 just has more talent, so I'm not convinced we are that much worse.  Saturday night will tell.

Kandrase:

--- Quote from: go guins on September 22, 2021, 09:07:22 AM ---
--- Quote from: YSU1 on September 21, 2021, 12:20:44 PM ---This will be a tough game.

--- End quote ---
From here on, they will ALL be tough!  Our only "easy" game was a incredible comeback, 3 point overtime win!

--- End quote ---

To be fair, Incarnate Word is currently 2-1 with 1 win over an FBS opponent. It was a sunbelt team, but 85 scholarships none the less.

Yes, Incarnate word was likely an "easier" opponenet but we shouldn't mistake them for Robert Morris and Duquesne.

But I agree, I don't think any MVFC game is gonna be "easy" even past bottom barrel teams like SIU are really good now

YSUFANSINCE1990:
 Incarnate Word will have a good year, they are very explosive offensively.  WIU game is a must win.  Their defense is horrendous.  Offensively they have a good QB and wide outs.

Wick250:
Miami rarely loses at home, and teams usually struggle to score against them in their facility.  Yet Michigan State pretty much did whatever they wanted on offense. Incarnate Word can make all but a handful of elite FCS defenses look foolish. After opening with those two, our defensive statistics might not be a proper index to the abilities of this unit. As others have noted, let us see how this defense responds to league competition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version