YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

MVFC Meat Grinder

<< < (2/4) > >>

Penguin Nation:
After all the program has gone through, I'm looking for a modicum of competence and integrity. I cannot support a team that self-sabotages and lacks basic ethics. Ws are nice but not at any cost.

So far, I like DP....a lot. However, he and his coordinators need to grow along with the players. Their fright and complete lack of confidence was obvious in the play calling. Ppl want to win but also be entertained. He's also got to lose the damn mask.

The YO Show:
Nation, so far based on what I've seen it seems that DP is a true caring and upstanding citizen. I am thinking he has a good amount of football knowledge too, will have to see how this turns out.

go guins:
Not to mention Michigan State 38 Northwestern 21
A friend asked me how the season looked and I told him, "we are a lot better offensively than spring, but I think 1-9 might be in the offing."  WTF only 10 games?  We quit in the spring, were we afraid we'd quit on game 11 or 12? 

peteonastick:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on September 06, 2021, 01:21:29 PM ---After all the program has gone through, I'm looking for a modicum of competence and integrity. I cannot support a team that self-sabotages and lacks basic ethics. Ws are nice but not at any cost.

So far, I like DP....a lot. However, he and his coordinators need to grow along with the players. Their fright and complete lack of confidence was obvious in the play calling. Ppl want to win but also be entertained. He's also got to lose the damn mask.

--- End quote ---

I have to politely disagree here.  First game after a year of COVID practices, iffy spring season and a two month turnaround - why would you want to put these inexperienced players in situations that they are not confident and know will not work due to lack of progress or experience.  These are young, hungry coaches also, let them coach the kids to their abilities - not what you expect them to be.  Coaches know talent and what a kid can and cannot do on the field - if you put them in situations they have no confidence in or are not prepared - paralysis through analysis and you get poor play, frozen feet, over guessing and lack of instinctual play.  It is not lack of confidence in play calling, it is coaching to the current abilities of your talent - coaches that expect more than their kids can do, will fail because they are not prepared for what you want from them.  "Are you not entertained?!!"  What is this Gladiator?  You want entertainment watch the NFL...or UFC.  You want a clown on the field?  Pelini was a clown and entertaining to watch on the field - look how well he did?  I love what I am seeing in Phillips so far - lots of intangibles and the kids are wanting to play - that is a big hurdle after the last three years.

GO GUINS!

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: peteonastick on September 08, 2021, 04:32:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on September 06, 2021, 01:21:29 PM ---After all the program has gone through, I'm looking for a modicum of competence and integrity. I cannot support a team that self-sabotages and lacks basic ethics. Ws are nice but not at any cost.

--- End quote ---

I have to politely disagree here.  First game after a year of COVID practices, iffy spring season and a two month turnaround - why would you want to put these inexperienced players in situations that they are not confident and know will not work due to lack of progress or experience.  These are young, hungry coaches also, let them coach the kids to their abilities - not what you expect them to be.  Coaches know talent and what a kid can and cannot do on the field - if you put them in situations they have no confidence in or are not prepared - paralysis through analysis and you get poor play, frozen feet, over guessing and lack of instinctual play.  It is not lack of confidence in play calling, it is coaching to the current abilities of your talent - coaches that expect more than their kids can do, will fail because they are not prepared for what you want from them.  "Are you not entertained?!!"  What is this Gladiator?  You want entertainment watch the NFL...or UFC.  You want a clown on the field?  Pelini was a clown and entertaining to watch on the field - look how well he did?  I love what I am seeing in Phillips so far - lots of intangibles and the kids are wanting to play - that is a big hurdle after the last three years.

GO GUINS!

--- End quote ---

I hear ya, but if you’re foregoing the public’s desire to be thrilled and entertained, then you also forego larger crowds and the revenue it brings. Only a select few will spend their precious Saturdays there due to loyalty alone. The University has a product and benefits from its revenue generation. Make it the best show possible is all I saying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version