YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

UNI Gameday Thread

<< < (11/15) > >>

guinpen:

--- Quote from: YSUGO on February 28, 2021, 11:13:17 AM ---Politics has nothing to do that our football program has sunk to nothing.  When Tressel took the Buckeyes job the powers to be have made one bad decision after another.  Heacock, Wolford, Pelini,  We are in a conference that don’t give a sh** about us and geographically don’t fit and it’s destroyed us.  The BS that our conference is the SEC means nothing to the casual fan.  They want to see W’’s and a chance to make the playoffs. They don’t care how tough the conference is. The economics have changed where OtherFCS programs pay more for their a$$istants than our HC.  Wake the hell up here.  We need to get out of the MVC find a conference that fits us geographically for fans and recruiting.  Or drop down to D2.  We ARE not going to get lucky again like the 90’s.  Look in the mirror here! Go Penguins

--- End quote ---

I can agree with most of the post but not dropping to D2.

I would like to see the numbers, where did you see how much we pay, who is paying more and how much more?

goodnews:
Lets be real.  Phillips is here cause he came cheap and spoke the best "coach talk".  Oh and he knew someone with money locally.  There was little excitement when he was hired and even less 14 months later. I don't know the guy and have nothing against him but he has zero experience turning a football program around.   

ucfpengbuck:
Pelini imploded the program.     Oline is very green and not ready which gives the running game no holes and the passing very little time.   It starts up front and coach Phillip needs JC transfers or some guys from the transfer portal.  It going to take time and it won't be pleasant for a few seasons.

In two games I haven't seen much of a pass rush.  Back 7 has held up despite the lack of push up front.

I like the new rb from the d2 school .  The guy needs more touches in some creative ways.  Looks like he can house it if he has a crease.

Kandrase:

--- Quote from: goodnews on February 28, 2021, 04:45:41 PM ---Lets be real.  Phillips is here cause he came cheap and spoke the best "coach talk".  Oh and he knew someone with money locally.  There was little excitement when he was hired and even less 14 months later. I don't know the guy and have nothing against him but he has zero experience turning a football program around.

--- End quote ---

He absolutely has experience turning programs around.

He worked for Matt Campbell who just took Iowa State to their first ever big 12 championship and for Luke Fickell who took Cincinnati to their first NY6 game in over a decade.
Heck he even started his coaching career under Tressel in the early 90s. He’s been with at least 3 programs that were in the process of major cultural shifts.

Nobody else interested in the job had anything close to that type of experience.

Penquin68:
DP is a new hire and like all new hires his success of failure is in question.  JT came here without head coaching experience and was a home run after a few lean years.  BP came here with much success as a head coach and it didn't work out. Give Doug Phillips his chance to get the program going.  What he is instilling in the players is very good.  Can he recruit and develop players? Who knows. That will be the test of whether he is a success or not. And bringing in transfers will help in the short term but hurt in the long term. Let him do what he thinks is best and let the results speak for themselves. All this negative attitude only hurts YSU's chances to attract the players we need for success. Think about it.  It reminds me of the old Vindicator that could only downgrade the city of Youngstown and YSU.  It does no good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version