YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

2020 Football Season

<< < (7/19) > >>

Kandrase:

--- Quote from: go guins on June 01, 2020, 09:31:48 AM ---
--- Quote from: guinpen on May 28, 2020, 08:33:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: YSUFANSINCE1990 on May 27, 2020, 10:47:51 AM --- Agree on complete rebuild, and asking anything more of Coach Phillips is unfair.  Already up against it, new coaching staff and no spring ball is not good.

--- End quote ---

As always any new coach needs years to get in his players and get his system up and going. If a complete rebuild takes longer and we have the right coach it will be worth the wait.

--- End quote ---
This might have been an accurate reflection 10 or 20 years ago, but not now.  Phillips is any good, he's gone in MAX 5 years.  You take a D-1 job as DB coach and it pays X2 a 1-AA head coaching job.  Coordinator's are getting 4X even 5X the 1-AA HC amount.

--- End quote ---

Not necessarily true, Phillips was making less at UC as running backs coach than he is at YSU. Some P5 assistants certainly make a lot though. I think Phillips will stay unless offered a coordinator position at a big time g5 program or a P5 school, he’s 52 and seemed excited to come home. Doesn’t feel so much like a stepping stone to me. Sure if he gets a massive coordinator offer I wouldn’t be surprised but just another positions coach seems unlikely to me

go guins:

--- Quote from: Kandrase on June 01, 2020, 12:21:43 PM ---
--- Quote from: go guins on June 01, 2020, 09:31:48 AM ---
--- Quote from: guinpen on May 28, 2020, 08:33:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: YSUFANSINCE1990 on May 27, 2020, 10:47:51 AM --- Agree on complete rebuild, and asking anything more of Coach Phillips is unfair.  Already up against it, new coaching staff and no spring ball is not good.

--- End quote ---

As always any new coach needs years to get in his players and get his system up and going. If a complete rebuild takes longer and we have the right coach it will be worth the wait.

--- End quote ---
This might have been an accurate reflection 10 or 20 years ago, but not now.  Phillips is any good, he's gone in MAX 5 years.  You take a D-1 job as DB coach and it pays X2 a 1-AA head coaching job.  Coordinator's are getting 4X even 5X the 1-AA HC amount.

--- End quote ---

Not necessarily true, Phillips was making less at UC as running backs coach than he is at YSU. Some P5 assistants certainly make a lot though. I think Phillips will stay unless offered a coordinator position at a big time g5 program or a P5 school, he’s 52 and seemed excited to come home. Doesn’t feel so much like a stepping stone to me. Sure if he gets a massive coordinator offer I wouldn’t be surprised but just another positions coach seems unlikely to me

--- End quote ---
Secret is he has no series of P5 9 win seasons to fall back on for credibility like Bo did.  DP NEEDS success to earn his creds.  I agree, but I think JT was pretty secure here, but the prestige and $$$ was too much.  Frankly I think Bo would have stayed except for the MILLIONS!  We NEED success on the field, DP needs success on the field.  Let's hope we both get what we need! Frankly this roster is good enough to make the playoffs in every area but the huge ?? OL.  I will be disappointed with less than 7-5

ytownchief22:
They have started replacing the turf at Stambaugh.

go guins:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on June 02, 2020, 03:14:03 PM ---They have started replacing the turf at Stambaugh.

--- End quote ---
Great!  Big question:  Pete or Y on the 50?

ytownchief22:

--- Quote from: go guins on June 02, 2020, 03:59:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on June 02, 2020, 03:14:03 PM ---They have started replacing the turf at Stambaugh.

--- End quote ---
Great!  Big question:  Pete or Y on the 50?

--- End quote ---

I believe it will be Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version