YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Horizon League Basketball Tourney

(1/9) > >>

mudclods:
So with Detroit being banned from post-season play due to academic reasons from years past, that will give the 3 seed now a first round bye in the Horizon League tournament and move IUPUI up to the 9 seed.  There's 2 games left and a lot can happen.  YSU can be as high as the 3 seed and would get the first round bye and a quarterfinal home game or fall to as far as the 7 seed and have to go the road in the first round. 

YSU needs to at least win one on this road trip as that would make them no worse than the 5 seed and I think no worse than the 4 seed if they beat Green Bay, which would give YSU the season sweep.  I think if YSU wins both they need UIC to lose one to get the 3 seed.

The 4 seed wouldn't be bad as that would give them a first round home game against IUPUI- a team YSU seems to always be able to handle.  And if they could beat them would get a quarterfinal home game.  It would be pretty demoralizing if YSU gets swept this weekend and has to go on the road after losing 3 straight.  Just don't want to end the season how last year did losing 4 straight.

Penquin68:
I feel the game tonight at GB is really important.  We need to develop more scoring than DQ.  At times Donel is hitting and at times Jelani, but neither consistently.  We need one of them to step up and get a typical game from DQ and Naz.  Without that we can be in trouble. Unfortunately Garrett Covington hasn't been doing well offensively except short range shots.

go guins:

--- Quote from: Penquin68 on February 27, 2020, 02:27:18 PM ---I feel the game tonight at GB is really important.  We need to develop more scoring than DQ.  At times Donel is hitting and at times Jelani, but neither consistently.  We need one of them to step up and get a typical game from DQ and Naz.  Without that we can be in trouble. Unfortunately Garrett Covington hasn't been doing well offensively except short range shots.

--- End quote ---
No doubt about  GB game being important.  2nd biggest regular season game of Calhoun era. (after last week's Wright St. game.  Your also right on the money with needing consistent 2nd option.  Sometimes Morgan, Sometimes Simmons, Cathcart or Covington, but you never know who you can count on.  Bohannon is very dependable, but more of a clean up guy, not a primary 2nd option.  I agree with you, I wish somebody would stick their head up and keep it up!  Big game, I hope the play well!

mudclods:
I agree with the above comments.  You know what you're getting with DQ and Naz, but YSU needs more consistent scoring from a couple others.  Akuchie seems to be in a funk lately as his scoring has been going down the last 4 games.  I love Covington on the defensive end, but I was hoping he would have been a little more productive scoring.   

In order to get to the next level, they need to be able to win some games on the road.  Only 4 road wins this season and they were against USC Upstate, IUPUI, UIC, and Detroit.  The only decent win is the UIC one and that was at the beginning of conference play and UIC has greatly improved. 

ValleyTalk:
Win IUPUI upsetting, if you want to call it that, Oakland, YSU appears to have guaranteed themselves a home game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version