YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Assistant Coaches

<< < (7/11) > >>

go guins:
The group being assembled by Coach Phillips is really starting to impress a couple points.  They are, for the most part, young, up and comers, from winning programs.  Winning attitude is at least as important as talent.  You need talent, but talent isn't enough, and this group seems to know how to win.  I look at Coach Calhoun taking 3 years to get some of his guys on the same page, and it may well take Coach Phillips the same, but there aren't shortcuts.  Best thing we have going for us right now is the last game of the season.  Nobody expected them to win, and the played hard and did!  The players coming back know they can win.
Everything we've seen so far looks good to me.  We aren't going 10-2 or anything, but I wouldn't rule out a competing for a playoff berth yet either.

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: go guins on March 02, 2020, 09:36:20 AM ---The group being assembled by Coach Phillips is really starting to impress a couple points.  They are, for the most part, young, up and comers, from winning programs.  Winning attitude is at least as important as talent.  You need talent, but talent isn't enough, and this group seems to know how to win.  I look at Coach Calhoun taking 3 years to get some of his guys on the same page, and it may well take Coach Phillips the same, but there aren't shortcuts.  Best thing we have going for us right now is the last game of the season.  Nobody expected them to win, and the played hard and did!  The players coming back know they can win.
Everything we've seen so far looks good to me.  We aren't going 10-2 or anything, but I wouldn't rule out a competing for a playoff berth yet either.

--- End quote ---

um....No

go guins:

--- Quote from: penguinpower on March 03, 2020, 05:17:02 AM ---
--- Quote from: go guins on March 02, 2020, 09:36:20 AM ---The group being assembled by Coach Phillips is really starting to impress a couple points.  They are, for the most part, young, up and comers, from winning programs.  Winning attitude is at least as important as talent.  You need talent, but talent isn't enough, and this group seems to know how to win.  I look at Coach Calhoun taking 3 years to get some of his guys on the same page, and it may well take Coach Phillips the same, but there aren't shortcuts.  Best thing we have going for us right now is the last game of the season.  Nobody expected them to win, and the played hard and did!  The players coming back know they can win.

--- End quote ---
No as in no, they aren't young, not up and comers, or no, in that winning as an attitude is important, no as in they can't compete?  no doesn't say much.

um....No

--- End quote ---

penguinpower:
competing for a playoff birth

go guins:

--- Quote from: penguinpower on March 03, 2020, 01:01:32 PM ---competing for a playoff birth

--- End quote ---
IMO, this team looks much better on paper than last year's team, and we were "in the hunt" after 8 games.  I'm kind of a glass half full guy and so I'm optimistic.  I'll take the "over" on 6-6 season repeat and a tournament berth in DP's first season.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version