YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Doug Phillips

<< < (9/17) > >>

YSU1:
If YSU does not have the money to compete at this level, they should drop back to Division 2.

Kandrase:

--- Quote from: YSU1 on February 07, 2020, 02:48:32 PM ---If YSU does not have the money to compete at this level, they should drop back to Division 2.

--- End quote ---

Come on guys let’s have some perspective. The MVFC is harder to compete in than the MAC. We have a very competitive FCS football team and are probably in the top quartile when it comes to the entire subdivision. Butler was an atrocity... but we usually do very well against non conference teams (Samford, Howard, Robert Morris, Duquesne etc.

We’re a competitive FCS program, just not elite like we want to be.

goodnews:
We will find out on 9/5 if the MAC is easier.

guinpen:
This thread has taught me a couple of things.

1. Most folks on this board need better sources.
2. Way too many negative Nancy's.

As much as I hate to admit it, I no longer feel that we are on the same level as the mid MAc schools. A true YSU fan really only has one option at this point, trust that the powers to be know what they are doing and give the new coach a chance to prove himself. I believe that JT came to us as a lowly QB coach and look how he turned out, Let's all hope that Doug does better.

Wick250:
This may or may not make you feel better, depending on your stance on this selection.

As everybody now knows, Phillips was a position coach at Cincinnati for the past three years.  Did you realize how highly rated Cincinnati football has been lately?  Here are the final ratings for this past season from a sample of polling services.

#21 AP
#21 Coaches
#21 Massey
#30 Sagarin

So we hired a position coach from a nearly top 20 ranked program (whether Cincy deserved that status is irrelevant....they have it.)  One week ago in the aftermath of the revelation about Marrow's salary, a FBS position coach at a successful program seemed out-of-bounds.

Take this for whatever you think it is worth.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version