YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Doug Phillips

<< < (6/17) > >>

Wick250:
Power,

Thanks for the post.  It reduced my anger and made me look at this more objectively.  Administrative expertise is indeed essential for a head coach.  I just hope we have the resources to assemble a respectable staff that Phillips can manage.

Also, Crenshaw's high school stats were in the paper this morning.  74% completion rate as a senior.  14 for 16 in the 2019 title game.  Six rushing tds in the 2017 title game.  All of that against fierce competition in Ohio's DI.  Not a bad building block for a new coach.  We all know the impact an elite qb can have at our level.

go guins:
I simply don't understand the overwhelming negativity of the posters on the thread.  How in God's name to you make the statement that Phillips makes Tyrrell look like Urban Meyer in comparison?  Just YESTERDAY Tyrrell was the guy with no college experience and this was a disaster?  You guys make me laugh.  If Phillips knows football and relates to kids on the field, and parents in recruiting, he'll be fine.  Remember the best football mind EVER at YSU picked the guy, and that gets him the benefit of the doubt with me.  In 3 years we can review this decision, but before that is premature. 

YSUFANSINCE1990:
  Was blindsided by this one.   I was all in on Tyrrell, he had head coaching experience and was a winner.  Doug Phillips has done nothing to deserve this job.   The job was certainly bought for him.  Very disappointed in Tressel, this was all his decision.

I hope Phillips proves me wrong, and I will support him and the program.  But I can't see it, also from what I remember while coaching high school, sorta boring and nerdy.  I don't see him exciting the fan base.

Yes Tressel a great football mind, but he was the one who hired John Robic, although the committee he put together had Robic near the bottom of the candidate list.  Robic was a bust and he got the job because Larry Brown and John Calipari bought him that job.  That is a fact.

gbs20:
When did Sebo become a player at YSU? He had no interest previously. As I said previously re Tyrell...if this works out--great; but if not its on Tressel. You all are overestimating how well he is running the university.

peteonastick:

--- Quote from: gbs20 on February 07, 2020, 09:32:34 AM ---When did Sebo become a player at YSU? He had no interest previously. As I said previously re Tyrell...if this works out--great; but if not its on Tressel. You all are overestimating how well he is running the university.

--- End quote ---

He became a player this week when Tress was in Florida with him and called Strollo to cancel the team meeting with Tyrrell. Going in a different direction. $$$$$$.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version