YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

The next YSU Head Football Coach

<< < (34/41) > >>

Wick250:
When Montgomery was the offensive coordinator here, was he not heavily criticized by a significant numbers of posters?  Was there not considerable rejoicing when he finally left?  Now it is a tragedy that he was not brought back as the head coach?  I am really confused. :-\

guinpen:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on February 05, 2020, 08:14:47 PM ---When Montgomery was the offensive coordinator here, was he not heavily criticized by a significant numbers of posters?  Was there not considerable rejoicing when he finally left?  Now it is a tragedy that he was not brought back as the head coach?  I am really confused. :-\

--- End quote ---

You pretty much nailed it!

Kandrase:
Okay, so quick note about Monty. I’m not a fan, but hes a good offensive coordinator, especially for FCS. It’s hard to argue that he’s not at least pretty good.

The bigger issue is that he was also our QB coach, but I saw very little QB development during his tenure. We didn’t recruit great quarterbacks, we tended to recruit good athletes who could throw. None of our quarterbacks seemed to really improve from year to year, they all seemed to stay pretty stagnant. Hunter wells was O.K. But with his arm he really should have become one of the better QBs in our conference. Then look at Mays, and Rickie Davis, two great athletes who just didn’t seem well coached when it came to reading defenses, making good throws, learning to slide instead of taking big hits etc.

I also don’t see any change coming with Monty. Sure if we hire him he’ll probably go 7-4, 8-3, 6-5.... but I don’t see him changing the culture or Turning the program around.

With Tyrell, we’ll probably get a 3-8 and a 4-7 season but maybe we go 9-2 after that.

As a fan I’m willing to take a risk rather than take the safe option and stay in mid MVFC limbo.

YSUGO:
I disagree that I am part of the problem. I still haven’t heard why he deserved to get this job.  I can’t support this hire but I am still a fan and alumni. This type of hire is  and looks like a reach and desperate. Plus if shows we don’t have the money to get a quality college coach.  As your bs comments about Montgomery again pure your opinion.  If he sucked why did a top FCS program hire him.  He is respected by his peers.  My bet he gets back to the championship game quicker than we do.,

Kandrase:

--- Quote from: YSUGO on February 05, 2020, 09:03:56 PM ---I disagree that I am part of the problem. I still haven’t heard why he deserved to get this job.  I can’t support this hire but I am still a fan and alumni. This type of hire is  and looks like a reach and desperate. Plus if shows we don’t have the money to get a quality college coach.  As your bs comments about Montgomery again pure your opinion.  If he sucked why did a top FCS program hire him.  He is respected by his peers.  My bet he gets back to the championship game quicker than we do.,

--- End quote ---

If you were responding to me, you may have misunderstood. . I said he was good! Not that he sucked, I just don’t think he develops quarterbacks very well, which kinda screwed up our program for a few years. And I don’t think he would change our culture.

My opinion is that he’s low risk low reward while Tyrell is high risk high reward

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version