YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

The next YSU Head Football Coach

<< < (30/41) > >>

Wick250:
Financial restrictions are an obstacle that we cannot avoid.  Given that context, it looks like it came down to hiring one of two recycled head coaches with poor records (Montgomery and Treadwell at Miami) or gambling on a radical new approach.  If Tressel was not at YSU, this decision would freak me out.  But I will support the call of the guy in town who knows a hundred times more about football coaching than any of us on this site.

Kandrase:

--- Quote from: ValleyTalk on February 04, 2020, 10:12:02 PM ---Worth sharing this posting from Cleveland.com when he was hired at Hoban:

“Tyrrell returns to Northeast Ohio after spending five season as head coach at Chaminade-Madonna College Prep in Hollywood, Fla. Tyrrell amassed a 39-18 record at Chaminade-Madonna, including a 13-1 record and trip to the state semifinals in his second season.

He was named South Florida coach of the year by the Miami Herald and South Florida Sun Sentinel in 2009 and district coach of the year in 2009, 2011, and 2012.

Tyrrell was the head coach at Louisville St. Thomas Aquinas for seven seasons. He also served as tight ends/tackles coach at Youngstown State from 1991-2001.

Tyrrell graduated from Youngstown Ursuline and Youngstown State, where he was a member of the 1993, 1994, and 1997 Division I-AA National Championship teams.“

--- End quote ---

Somethings not quite right with this bio... he was a coach from 91-2001? But was also on the 93 94 and 97 championship teams?

gbs20:
Those of you who are putting all of your faith in Tressel, remember a couple of things...first, he was responsible for Bo coming here.  How did that work out?  Second, for all of the accomplishments that are public, the state of YSU as an organization under his leadership, has been mixed at best.  There is plenty of money at YSU. Like all organizations, they cry poor when they dont want to do something and find the money for what they want to do.  If he is such a great fund raiser, and the rich powerful alums are behind a particular person, money can be had to subsidize a coach and staff for the term of the contract. 

If you want to give him credit for recruiting a HS coach and the coach is successful, great. If its another bust, dont blame Strollo, its on him.

YSUFANSINCE1990:
  I enjoy the conversation both ways on the hiring of Tim Tyrrell.  Thats what I enjoy most about this site, that we can agree to disagree, and there is a place for YSU fans to have discussion.

Without question this hire is a risk, and it is Tressel's hire, however he will be long gone when we determined if Tyrrell is successful;  so Strollo will get the praise of criticism.  The safe way would have been Treadwell or Montgomery.  I think Montgomery would have been a disaster.  I like the risk, and only time will tell on the success.

As for Tressel, he is God like in this community, but he has his scars as well.  Without question, a great football coach.  Mixed results in hiring as an AD here at YSU.  He put together a committee several years ago to hire a basketball coach, most of the committee nixed John Robic, but he did what he wanted and hired Robic, who was a bust.   If you are going to do what you want anyway, don't put together a fraud committee.  Tressel has had issues with following the rules.  Ray Isaac getting paid to do nothing by Mickey Monus was orchestrated by Tressel and his lying to the NCAA cost him his job at Ohio State.

But back to Tyrrell, he needs our support, and we need to give him a chance, he is one of our own.

The YO Show:

--- Quote from: Kandrase on February 05, 2020, 07:56:05 AM ---
--- Quote from: ValleyTalk on February 04, 2020, 10:12:02 PM ---Worth sharing this posting from Cleveland.com when he was hired at Hoban:

“Tyrrell returns to Northeast Ohio after spending five season as head coach at Chaminade-Madonna College Prep in Hollywood, Fla. Tyrrell amassed a 39-18 record at Chaminade-Madonna, including a 13-1 record and trip to the state semifinals in his second season.

He was named South Florida coach of the year by the Miami Herald and South Florida Sun Sentinel in 2009 and district coach of the year in 2009, 2011, and 2012.

Tyrrell was the head coach at Louisville St. Thomas Aquinas for seven seasons. He also served as tight ends/tackles coach at Youngstown State from 1991-2001.

Tyrrell graduated from Youngstown Ursuline and Youngstown State, where he was a member of the 1993, 1994, and 1997 Division I-AA National Championship teams.“

--- End quote ---

Somethings not quite right with this bio... he was a coach from 91-2001? But was also on the 93 94 and 97 championship teams?

--- End quote ---

Asked my buddy who was on the championship teams in 93 and 94, and he stated he was a player coach from 1991 to 1994, then stayed on as a coach and he graduated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version