Author Topic: YSU vs UIC  (Read 5226 times)

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU vs UIC
« on: December 30, 2019, 09:05:38 PM »
Maturity!    Guys played great team/help defense.  Very unselfish and great on their switches.

Crushed the UIC press with Naz playing like a point guard.   His handle is incredible and forces the bigs to cover him in the back court and opens up the floor.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs UIC
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 10:10:44 PM »
People need to start filling Beeghly for this team.  I think this may be one of the best seasons ever at YSU.  This guy can coach, and he has the kind of team he wants.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 10:43:58 PM »
I was impressed by how well all these guys could dribble the ball against the pressure. Naz was able to dribble smoothly up court reducing the pressure for Q.
The defensive effort was there all night. We also had many drives toward the hoop by several players other than Q. However, I was surprised that Covington and Morgan were not playing all that well in the last 2 games.

I don’t know if this is the best team that we ever had. I believe this is the fastest and best defensive team we ever had.
I have been watching YSU MBB since my freshman year in 1966.
Another observation about tonight’s game, I don’t think we had a single full court press against them all night.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 06:14:53 AM »

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 09:41:32 AM »
Another great defensive effort.  If it wasn't for a couple of those cheap 3's at the end by UIC, they would have been held under 60.  UIC made just 2 3's until the closing seconds and that's a team that averages 8 made a game. 

Naz has really been the difference this year in a lot of games.  He's playing like how I had hoped more of last year.  He's becoming more of consistent scorer, better at finishing under the hoop or at least drawing fouls, and really controlling the boards.  Even more impressive has been his ball handling skills and pushing the ball up court.  He's tremendous and might just be the second best ball handler behind Quisenberry.   

That was a really good win.  After it went back and forth early, YSU pretty much was in control of the game leading by 5 or so points pretty much throughout.  UIC is a veteran team and to go there and win is pretty big.  YSU has really struggled with them losing 5 straight before beating them at home during the 6-game win streak.  Now YSU has a great opportunity to start 3-0 with a game Saturday at Cleveland St.  CSU has played better this year than I expected after losing several players and their coach.  It would be huge to grab 3 road games to start the year.

DefendYoungstown

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 11:16:08 AM »
I know this is late given that we're already halfway through the season but the team-by-team analysis in the piece below is exceptional. A good reference for team insight regarding upcoming conference games:

Horizon League 2019-2020 Preview (Three Man Weave)
https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/horizon-league-2019-20-preview
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 11:17:44 AM by DefendYoungstown »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 03:08:06 PM »
You know I have been wondering why the change in style (to more of a traditional Horizon team) tough, with defense. I don't think that Calhoun's initial desire for more of an up-tempo/full-court game would turn out that well'; as I am not certain we can recruit the players for it. Those players (in DI) are going to bigger schools and finding at least 11-guys will be difficult.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 03:33:56 PM »
Like I said earlier in the year, this team will keep getting better as the year goes on. Things are coming along nicely.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 10:04:29 PM »
You know I have been wondering why the change in style (to more of a traditional Horizon team) tough, with defense. I don't think that Calhoun's initial desire for more of an up-tempo/full-court game would turn out that well'; as I am not certain we can recruit the players for it. Those players (in DI) are going to bigger schools and finding at least 11-guys will be difficult.

Yeah I think the full court game went out the window mid-season last year.  I had said earlier last year Coach was going to have adjust.  Just didn't have the players for that and it was definitely hindering us especially in year one.  I do think sprinkling it in at times has been beneficial as this year it's either gotten some steals here & there and has slowed down the opponents offense. 

The change to really focus on defensive and how well we've improved in that aspect is really impressive.  It's won YSU several games this year that they would have lost last year even when they haven't shot well.  I think overall the shooting has definitely improved since earlier in the year; especially the FG & FT%.  The 3-PT % still isn't where it needs to be.  If we could start knocking down more 3's, could be a tough team to beat.  Devin Morgan has been real disappointing this year.  I thought he was excellent in the WVU game, but most games he just doesn't look like he's engaged or something.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 01:18:36 PM »