YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

SeMO at YSU

(1/3) > >>

IAA Fan:
We are shooting well tonight. You can tell by that last minute run that Red Birds could get back into this one. We must come out strong after the half and keep the pressure.

mudclods:
Nice win.  Really played well defensively to never allow them in the game.  YSU got pretty lax about the last 10 mins of the game once they were up 22.  I think YSU went over 9 mins without a FG.  SEMO's FT shooting was horrendous.  YSU really needs to improve on their FT shooting and learn how to close out games once league play starts.  Really should have beat that team by 25 points.

Now need to take care of business Wednesday against Binghamton to have a perfect record at home and ensure a winning record in non-conference play. 

Dmorton:
Free throw shooting and three-point shooting still needs work.  Rebounding and defensive intensity was outstanding.

Penquin68:
Team looks like they can win some games in the Horizon League.  Free throw shooting is a problem with some of the players.  Number 1, Jamir Thomas I think, can be a big help inside if we use him.  Not sure of the status of the player from Europe that is 6 - 8, but if he returns we can have an inside presence against Northern Kentucky and Wright State and others.  At least there is hope. The emphasis on defense is paying off and makes us much more competitive. The old full court press etc seems gone or at least much less.  That rarely worked for us.

chezmustache:
     I am not sure I would characterize a 15 point home win against a bad team a "Nice win."  First off, we went the final nine minutes (except at the very end) without scoring a basket.  Not a recipe for success against anyone.  Unfortunately, it is a reoccuring event with this team.  Second, the Penguins turned over the ball 16 times.  Third, YSU shot eight of 15 from the free through line.  On the other side, SEMO is a dreadful team.  Sagarin ranks them 315 out of 353 Division I basketball teams.  They proved it.  As an example, they converted three of 14 free throws. 

This should have been a thirty point win.  There were multiple errors during the last nine minutes that reflected lack of discipline and in some instances reckless play.   

Something is missing with this team.  The coach is likeable and achieved success earlier in his career.  The players work hard.  Effort is not an issue.  The most logical explanation is the overall talent level remains behind 70% of Division I.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version