YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Fire Pelini

<< < (19/33) > >>

ysubigred:

--- Quote from: guinpen on November 11, 2019, 08:57:18 PM ---No money game this year and basically not one next year, so I do not see having two money games as a doable thing. Although it would allow us to buy out Bo.

Seems we should have put more stock into the fact that Nebraska was willing to pay that much money to get rid of Bo.

How tight can money be if we are adding sports?

Yea there probably is some fat that could be trimmed in the AD Dept as is true with most schools.

With that said I can see where the powers to be would take a chance on Bo, big-time name, seemingly great resume, yadda yadda yadda, now the inevitable BUT.  Disappointed that the folks in charge did not or could not see the direction of the program and gave an extension.

Sometimes when you mess up the best thing to do is suck it up, fix it and move on.

I feel bad for the seniors, they will be looking at empty seats for their last home game.

--- End quote ---

Why feel bad for the seniors? Looks to me like they quit playing and don't give a sh**. Empty stadium is what they want. Yeah the coaching staff sucks but when you quit as a player that tells me a lot about the character and culture they came from.

gbs20:
Enrollment is down and has been.  Adding sports is a way to increase enrollment.  The new mens swim/dive team is a perfect example.  Few if any of the 25 man team are on full scholarship.  Most if all would not be at YSU were it not for the new team. So they basically give a partial, probably funded by the Foundation and the student pays the rest.  The cost of the program is minimal because the facilities are in place. Its actually a money maker and an enrollment generator.

Wick250:
Some DIII schools actually offer many more sports than we do.  They have found that high school athletes that play relatively fringe sports will actually pay for the privilege of continuing their careers on the college level.  GBS20 is absolutely correct.  Adding low scholarship sports helps more than it hinders.  Another example is the new lacrosse program.  In a radio interview, the coach stated that she has more than 20 commitments for next year from players all across the country.

IAA Fan:
I would not say it is related to enrollment, as much as it is a part of scholarship & title-IX. The NCAA requires a certain number of scholarships, at a DI university, be for women. A school must also have have a fair balance between men's and women's scholarships. Swimming & Diving is not a head-count sport like men's Basketball or FBS/IA football. We can use equivalents & get a higher scholarship count with less money being spent. I think it also has to do with increasing the demand for housing, which will allow us to more rapidly expand the campus.

gbs20:
The statement was made that the Athletic Department cant be in too much financial difficulty because they are adding sports, implying that they could have the resources to buy out Pelini. My point is that adding sports adds revenue/enrollment  to the university because the fact that they funded by partial scholarships. IAA fan is right, it will also help to fill up student housing. They may also incentivize developers to continue to build new apartments. Pelini's contract may also have a buy out clause in it that is defines a fixed amount if terminated. It may also have a clause that negates any buyout if he gets another job because that job will likely pay more than what he makes at YSU, unlike what happened when he came to YSU from Nebraska. In other words, a buyout of Pelini is likely not to cost YSU much if anything unless he decides to sit and do nothing until the contract expires.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version