YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Fire Pelini

<< < (21/33) > >>

peteonastick:

--- Quote from: FOOTBALLFEVER on November 13, 2019, 11:09:56 AM ---WE LINED UP WRONG IN BASIC CALLS? Coach time to start recruiting football IQ and disciplined players. If you have to give up some talent and athleticism so be it. Out of the 7 cardinal mooney players on the active roster does anyone know how many are under scholarship? Seems like a high number for a Division 4 program that has been mediocre at best for several years. Most schools that size are lucky to send 1 student athlete to a Division 1 football program every 5 years

--- End quote ---

Recruiting??  Bo doesn't recruit!  He relies on his assistants to do that.  Just what I had stated before.  Start recruiting athletes..not just football players!!  Track, wrestling, baseball, basketball players that play football.  Multi sport ATHLETES!  Competitive kids..not football players.  We never recruited the DelGarbino kid from Girard who was a state champion and runner up in wrestling at heavyweight and ended up wrestling at Princeton.  Don't care if he was not FCS lineman material..he could have played eventually at YSU because he was an ATHLETE. DEVELOPMENT OF PLAYERS IS DEAD AT YSU!  THEY NEED TO LEARN FROM MOUNT UNION!!  Another one is Jake Esarco from Canfield.  Multiple state placer in wrestling at 220lbs at Canfield and football lineman.  Went to Colgate to play football but was never offered at YSU.  Started 4 years at Colgate at D line.  Another smart, hard nosed kid who we didn't even attempt to offer him.  Football IQ, hard nosed, local talent, ATHLETES!  Never offered or looked at. 

The YO Show:
The best part is pelini said the current group of freshman on the team was his best recruiting class yet. I really hope it is actually really good but I'm not sure...

Kandrase:

--- Quote from: peteonastick on November 13, 2019, 05:30:41 PM ---
--- Quote from: FOOTBALLFEVER on November 13, 2019, 11:09:56 AM ---WE LINED UP WRONG IN BASIC CALLS? Coach time to start recruiting football IQ and disciplined players. If you have to give up some talent and athleticism so be it. Out of the 7 cardinal mooney players on the active roster does anyone know how many are under scholarship? Seems like a high number for a Division 4 program that has been mediocre at best for several years. Most schools that size are lucky to send 1 student athlete to a Division 1 football program every 5 years

--- End quote ---

Recruiting??  Bo doesn't recruit!  He relies on his assistants to do that.  Just what I had stated before.  Start recruiting athletes..not just football players!!  Track, wrestling, baseball, basketball players that play football.  Multi sport ATHLETES!  Competitive kids..not football players.  We never recruited the DelGarbino kid from Girard who was a state champion and runner up in wrestling at heavyweight and ended up wrestling at Princeton.  Don't care if he was not FCS lineman material..he could have played eventually at YSU because he was an ATHLETE. DEVELOPMENT OF PLAYERS IS DEAD AT YSU!  THEY NEED TO LEARN FROM MOUNT UNION!!  Another one is Jake Esarco from Canfield.  Multiple state placer in wrestling at 220lbs at Canfield and football lineman.  Went to Colgate to play football but was never offered at YSU.  Started 4 years at Colgate at D line.  Another smart, hard nosed kid who we didn't even attempt to offer him.  Football IQ, hard nosed, local talent, ATHLETES!  Never offered or looked at.

--- End quote ---

Esarco is not really the best example though... Just because a kid could start for Colgate doesn’t mean he’s MVFC material. I’m not defending the YSU recruiting efforts I just know if I buy your Athletes over football players argument. I do agree that player development plays a huge role (or lack of) in the failure

IAA Fan:
I cannot agree with the multi-sport athletes at the DI level. Don't get me wrong, having down linemen that can wrestle is always nice because they learn to use their hands and maybe some foot skills. That is about it. We are not a D-III school so we cannot pattern anything off of any D-III program. They need multi-sport athletes as they do not have scholarships for football. YSU is a DI program that has 63 scholarships that are just for football players and that is what we need to be recruiting ...and we are not doing so right now. I am not excited about a 220lb DL from Canfield unless he is playing in the Ohio/PA all-star game at defensive-end and rotated into the offensive backfield. I would rather spend my DL money on a kid that has a chance of getting to 320lbs. There are very few scholarships at wrestling & if he went to Princeton, he is solid in wrestling and in the classroom. Probably not a Penguin football candidate.

I hate to say it, but as Heacock found out, there are not too many quality local kids that are not going to larger programs. The days of finding real talent in the 2nd & 3rd string local players is certainly gone by now. Just how many DI schools are in the Valley these days?

goodnews:
Therr are 30+ kids from Hudson to Salem on the roster.  I did not count Western Pa or Akron.  If u have an 80 man roster and thats how u want to fill the holes its obvious it gets u 1 to 3 wins in the MVFC.  In addition, its done nothing for attendance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version