Author Topic: Game Day: YSU Opens MVFC Play With Contest at No. 13 UNI  (Read 31103 times)

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Game Day: YSU Opens MVFC Play With Contest at No. 13 UNI
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2019, 08:09:31 PM »
Amazing how well the d-line played and how poorly the secondary played

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2019, 08:13:10 PM »
Playing a team ranked ahead of us at their place, we simply did not play well enough to win. Play a good game and win at home next week, we will be back in.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2019, 08:15:59 PM »
The MVFC is weak this year. NDSU and UNI THEN???

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2019, 08:20:11 PM »
Find it hard to believe this team will beat anyone they shouldn't.  Not to mention beat all the teams they should.  Mays makes mistakes but he certainly is a competitor.  Moving forward, all teams will bring the heat.  I'm afraid Craycraft will be in trouble with a poor O-Line.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2019, 08:40:38 PM »
I believe the problem with the Oline is talent. Even so, I have to believe that a Jody Webb, Or Martin Ruiz, or a Jermain Cook would have eaten up UNI. I mean, with all respect, we have all seen Alessi line up with 2 of those guys and there was simply no comparison, Alessi was clearly a step below. We run by committee because we have no leader. We need a TB that can make a whole out of a seam.

That dropped pass arrived early and under thrown ...none-the-less, it was a 'catchable' ball. Kick was wide right.

Our D line simply cannot apply pressure. When they do, they ignore everything else but the QB. That includes the TB's with the ball. The first two defensive sets of the second half, we brought pressure from the ends & it was just as effective. The difference was UNI could not run against a YSU Dline that stayed home. Every darn 3 & long we brought middle pressure & gave up big yards. Had we stayed home, UNI may have gotten a few yards, but not the 10-15 needed for the conversion. UNI simply ran delayed plays and we fell for it. I blame that on coaching.

The secondary just does not have it.

Also, UNI is not an upper-half MVFC team. We just wish they were. Wait until next week. A big line (not sure on depth though), mobile QB with arm, 2 good receivers & two good TBs.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2019, 08:50:51 PM »
I believe the problem with the Oline is talent. Even so, I have to believe that a Jody Webb, Or Martin Ruiz, or a Jermain Cook would have eaten up UNI. I mean, with all respect, we have all seen Alessi line up with 2 of those guys and there was simply no comparison, Alessi was clearly a step below. We run by committee because we have no leader. We need a TB that can make a whole out of a seam.

That dropped pass arrived early and under thrown ...none-the-less, it was a 'catchable' ball. Kick was wide right.

Our D line simply cannot apply pressure. When they do, they ignore everything else but the QB. That includes the TB's with the ball. The first two defensive sets of the second half, we brought pressure from the ends & it was just as effective. The difference was UNI could not run against a YSU Dline that stayed home. Every darn 3 & long we brought middle pressure & gave up big yards. Had we stayed home, UNI may have gotten a few yards, but not the 10-15 needed for the conversion. UNI simply ran delayed plays and we fell for it. I blame that on coaching.

Also, UNI is not an upper-half MVFC team. We just wish they were. Wait until next week. A big line (not sure on depth though), mobile QB with arm, 2 good receivers & two good TBs.

Wait UNI not a top half MCFC Team? You know then took Iowa state to triple overtime right? Yeah they got beat by a great Weber state team but they certainly deserve their #13 ranking.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2019, 08:52:58 PM »

Dan your full of crap UNI is excellent YSU  was outmanned and we still hung in there well. SDSU  struggle with SIU which I don't think that great of a team at all so next week's game is very winnable.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2019, 08:58:03 PM »
YSU was an underdog today and will be again next week.  BTW, YSU gets everyones BEST.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2019, 09:47:54 PM »
I take a small retraction on UNI not being a top-half conference team, as I forgot about Ryan Boyle. However, just barely in at #4. #5 if you think we were the better team.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2019, 10:29:09 PM »
Lol, you make no sense with your posts I swear.

UNI has a top 10 FCS defense and they definitely have playmakers offensively. Also, our D-Line was getting pressure but UNI had quick pass plays if you were even watching. They had a good game plan. The secondary is troublesome, yes.

Gotta bounce back with another big game this weekend.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2019, 09:46:44 AM »
Chief. I hope that you are right about UNI, as this means we are playing better than it seems right now. I said that our D line was getting pressure on the QB, but I wanted the inside to stop the run and for us to bring pressure from the outside. The first couple of series in the 3rd-quarter were just that. Makes perfect sense and worked. UNI is not that strong. Yes it is primarily their defense that is solid, but this UNI offense is not as good as last year's club. They have their typical defense, which is always good and always fast. There is no way UNI is up to the caliber of the DSU's & I thought that ILS and ISU are better clubs this year. With Boyle out, that is not the case with ISU. UNI's offense will continue to improve.

We have to be in the top-4 (conference) to be considered for the play-off and with UNI losing to Weber, the committee will show favor to the Big Sky with any close decisions ...I would. Webber's struggle at Idaho does not tell us much. I also think that we have to win over one of the DSU's, or it may draw a clear line for the committee to cut off the MVFC at 3-teams. Too early for selection talk, but some other good games were played this week.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 11:30:34 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2019, 10:59:49 AM »
The play calling was awful.  We ran on almost every first down and didn't disguise it.  They were teeing off on the 1st down run.  We didn't throw a single slant, which would have helped the QB get rid of the ball faster.  They ran slants and dumped the ball before our DL could get them.  Total sh** Show on offense.

Defense gave up 3 and 100 miles 18 times.  That is why we lost.  And why didn't we challenge the FG kick.  It was over the post and the sh**ty referee was not in the correct position but it wouldn't have mattered.  At least the defense came to play in the second half.  They pretty much controlled the game int he second half until the last drive.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 11:01:50 AM by penguinpower »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2019, 11:44:06 AM »
I don't think UNI is a better team than us. They just played a better game and called a better game than us. Our inability to defend 3rd and long cost us big time.
Kept calling running players up the middle on the first 2 downs was either being stupid or being incompetent (or both). We were right there with the field goal and without the dropped td pass.
Beatin one of the Two Dakota teams at home and the bottom feeders of the conference, we should be ok. It's up to the team.

Online IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2019, 12:50:39 PM »
Giving up almost 100-yards on 9 penalties did not help.
As to the Oline:
-Giving up 6 sacks
-We had only 1 TB barely over 20-yards for the game. Yes that is 20 ...not 200.
- Another stat that will be overlooked is Assisted tackles. UNI had 46 compared to our 28. Yet the two clubs were very close on number of play attempts. They were blowing us up at or behind the line. No protection or holes. How many times did we try any designed 2-back plays, or running plays to the outside? Maybe once? All UNI had to do was keep 6 in the box and they shut down our run game and Mays was running for his life all day.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 10:03:49 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2019, 01:02:01 PM »
What penguinpower said.   The 1st half we never passed on 1st down.  Too many predictable runs.  2nd half the offense got rythm and more diversified and we moved the ball.  Mays put the ball on target and should get props for the way he played.
YES,we gave up way too many 3rd and mile.  The D-line looked to be in the backfield multiple times with tackles for loss and then they would hit their wide out on 3rd down.

Senior reciever can't drop a wide open TD pass in a big game on the road.