YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Game Day: YSU Opens MVFC Play With Contest at No. 13 UNI

<< < (15/17) > >>

IAA Fan:
Chief. I hope that you are right about UNI, as this means we are playing better than it seems right now. I said that our D line was getting pressure on the QB, but I wanted the inside to stop the run and for us to bring pressure from the outside. The first couple of series in the 3rd-quarter were just that. Makes perfect sense and worked. UNI is not that strong. Yes it is primarily their defense that is solid, but this UNI offense is not as good as last year's club. They have their typical defense, which is always good and always fast. There is no way UNI is up to the caliber of the DSU's & I thought that ILS and ISU are better clubs this year. With Boyle out, that is not the case with ISU. UNI's offense will continue to improve.

We have to be in the top-4 (conference) to be considered for the play-off and with UNI losing to Weber, the committee will show favor to the Big Sky with any close decisions ...I would. Webber's struggle at Idaho does not tell us much. I also think that we have to win over one of the DSU's, or it may draw a clear line for the committee to cut off the MVFC at 3-teams. Too early for selection talk, but some other good games were played this week.

penguinpower:
The play calling was awful.  We ran on almost every first down and didn't disguise it.  They were teeing off on the 1st down run.  We didn't throw a single slant, which would have helped the QB get rid of the ball faster.  They ran slants and dumped the ball before our DL could get them.  Total sh** Show on offense.

Defense gave up 3 and 100 miles 18 times.  That is why we lost.  And why didn't we challenge the FG kick.  It was over the post and the sh**ty referee was not in the correct position but it wouldn't have mattered.  At least the defense came to play in the second half.  They pretty much controlled the game int he second half until the last drive.

Double ET:
I don't think UNI is a better team than us. They just played a better game and called a better game than us. Our inability to defend 3rd and long cost us big time.
Kept calling running players up the middle on the first 2 downs was either being stupid or being incompetent (or both). We were right there with the field goal and without the dropped td pass.
Beatin one of the Two Dakota teams at home and the bottom feeders of the conference, we should be ok. It's up to the team.

IAA Fan:
Giving up almost 100-yards on 9 penalties did not help.
As to the Oline:
-Giving up 6 sacks
-We had only 1 TB barely over 20-yards for the game. Yes that is 20 ...not 200.
- Another stat that will be overlooked is Assisted tackles. UNI had 46 compared to our 28. Yet the two clubs were very close on number of play attempts. They were blowing us up at or behind the line. No protection or holes. How many times did we try any designed 2-back plays, or running plays to the outside? Maybe once? All UNI had to do was keep 6 in the box and they shut down our run game and Mays was running for his life all day.

ucfpengbuck:
What penguinpower said.   The 1st half we never passed on 1st down.  Too many predictable runs.  2nd half the offense got rythm and more diversified and we moved the ball.  Mays put the ball on target and should get props for the way he played.
YES,we gave up way too many 3rd and mile.  The D-line looked to be in the backfield multiple times with tackles for loss and then they would hit their wide out on 3rd down.

Senior reciever can't drop a wide open TD pass in a big game on the road.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version