Author Topic: Bobby Morris  (Read 22429 times)

Offline Joe Bernastat

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Morris
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2019, 07:05:01 AM »
Beat Cincinnati in ‘81 and ‘84,,, Lost to them in ‘82 and ‘85
Joe Cool

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2019, 07:23:19 AM »
We lost to Cinci in 81, 82 & 85. Won in '84. I will need to look up the other game, but I swear we played Missouri, or someone similar. The point that I am making is that there are too many colleges and too little talent spread around. College ball is too big. Look an NFL coach can build his team around any QB (a look at last year's Eagles will show you that), but does anyone here honestly think that Wentz was NFL material? I am not so certain he was even the best QB in the MVFC for 3 of his 4 years in college. Had NDSU remained DII or not have been so successful over the years would Wentz be in the NFL? Doubt it. The old system of DI vs D-II or small college vs college put YSU in the top half; today we are not even in the top half of DI (FBS) with the supposedly better teams making the jump to FBS, which is what started this conversation. None the less, if you have the ability, the pro's will find you.

With such a gap, a smaller school has to distinguish itself, like NDSU with wins. Like YSU, with the last name of our coach. Don't laugh, it's true and the only reason Strollo took the chance. Players under Pelini will get a second-look by the scouts. At least an honest look.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 07:28:55 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2019, 08:36:49 AM »

Yet I agree with YSU1 that intangibles are vital and that we had them in abundance during the 90s.
What we had was.................wait for it...................................TRESSEL!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2019, 08:44:55 AM »
We lost to Cinci in 81, 82 & 85. Won in '84. I will need to look up the other game, but I swear we played Missouri, or someone similar. The point that I am making is that there are too many colleges and too little talent spread around. College ball is too big. Look an NFL coach can build his team around any QB (a look at last year's Eagles will show you that), but does anyone here honestly think that Wentz was NFL material? I am not so certain he was even the best QB in the MVFC for 3 of his 4 years in college. Had NDSU remained DII or not have been so successful over the years would Wentz be in the NFL? Doubt it. The old system of DI vs D-II or small college vs college put YSU in the top half; today we are not even in the top half of DI (FBS) with the supposedly better teams making the jump to FBS, which is what started this conversation. None the less, if you have the ability, the pro's will find you.

With such a gap, a smaller school has to distinguish itself, like NDSU with wins. Like YSU, with the last name of our coach. Don't laugh, it's true and the only reason Strollo took the chance. Players under Pelini will get a second-look by the scouts. At least an honest look.
Wentz WOULD ben in the NFL.  He might not have been #2 but maybe #15 but scouts don't give a rat's a$$ about the coach, but can the kid play?  MLB kids get drafted out of HS.  Scouts scout, they don't draft because of the coach.  Ken Anderson played how long for the Bungles? out of what the announcers ALWAYS called "tiny Augustana College, Lyle Alzado was all-pro from Yankton.  "Don't laugh, it's true and the only reason Strollo took the chance."  yeah sure Strollo  you meant Tressel. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2019, 10:41:26 AM »
I think that high schools are not turning out as many quality football players as in the past.  There are still good players but not as many.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2019, 12:44:32 PM »
Wenzt may have had tryouts, but I do not see him getting drafted. Are you going to tell me that Wentz was a better QB than Brock Jensen? Brock was an undrafted free-agent that eventually landed in the CFL & he was perhaps the best QB in recent I-AA/FCS history. I think YSU gave Brock his only 2 regular season I-AA losses.

The Eagles back-up proved to be a superior QB (to Wentz) last year. He was loaded with those intangibles that overcame shortcomings elsewhere on the roster. However, the team is built around Carson. The Eagles did the exact same thing with Ron Jaworski. "Jaws" was probably the first franchise QB.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2019, 12:52:40 PM »
Wenzt may have had tryouts, but I do not see him getting drafted. Are you going to tell me that Wentz was a better QB than Brock Jensen? Brock was an undrafted free-agent that eventually landed in the CFL & he was perhaps the best QB in recent I-AA/FCS history. I think YSU gave Brock his only 2 regular season I-AA losses.

The Eagles back-up proved to be a superior QB (to Wentz) last year. He was loaded with those intangibles that overcame shortcomings elsewhere on the roster. However, the team is built around Carson. The Eagles did the exact same thing with Ron Jaworski. "Jaws" was probably the first franchise QB.

College success does not translate to pro success. Wentz was obviously a better pro prospect, he had Next level size, arm strength and athleticism, and has been successful in the NFL.

I don’t know what argument you’re trying to make but Jensen is not a better professional QB then Wentz.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2019, 01:28:11 PM »

College success does not translate to pro success. Wentz was obviously a better pro prospect, he had Next level size, arm strength and athleticism, and has been successful in the NFL.

I don’t know what argument you’re trying to make but Jensen is not a better professional QB then Wentz.

I believe statically the best QB the golden buffaloes had is Easton Stick. Replaced Wentz when he got hurt. I don't remember him going to the NFL this year. Bottom line NDSU has had a terrific run with QB's something YSU has never had  :-X

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2019, 01:43:05 PM »

I believe statically the best QB the golden buffaloes had is Easton Stick. Replaced Wentz when he got hurt. I don't remember him going to the NFL this year. Bottom line NDSU has had a terrific run with QB's something YSU has never had  :-X

Stick was the 5th round pick of the Chargers. 3rd on the depth chart currently.

I watched a bit of their game against UC Davis. Their new QB looks like he will be a good one also, big shock I know.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 01:45:07 PM by HappyPenguin »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2019, 03:41:57 PM »

Stick was the 5th round pick of the Chargers. 3rd on the depth chart currently.

I watched a bit of their game against UC Davis. Their new QB looks like he will be a good one also, big shock I know.

NDSU is QB U LOL!!

Are you guys back at the TG lot/games since the other side opened back up?

Offline Joe Bernastat

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2019, 03:57:05 PM »

Wrong yet again (not surprisingly). Beat Cincinnati in 1981.

In order for an argument to be taken seriously, the facts have to be correct or it diminishes the credibility of everything else.
Joe Cool

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2019, 09:15:36 PM »
I just hope we beat Bob Morris

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2019, 11:49:10 PM »
1985* Cincinnati 29, YSU 27
1985 Eastern Michigan 27, YSU 22
1984 YSU 27, Cincinnati 23
1984* YSU 31, Eastern Michigan 7
1982 Cincinnati 27, YSU 3
1981 YSU 19, Cincinnati 13

There you go Joe. If they are wrong then blame the YSu record book that I copied and pasted from.

BTW, the original post did not even mention a year, I just stated we beat Cinci. Quite factual don't you think? SO if you have a point to make about the post's topic, then do so. No reason to discredit anything. (It is like someone making a point that we were in WWII. They said the attack on Pearl Harbor was on December 7, 1940. It does not discredit the point). Also I was thinking of Mississippi when I said Missouri. I spoke with a contact and that was actually Mississippi College that we defeated ...not Old Miss.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 12:06:00 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2019, 07:29:03 AM »
Back on topic.... It's game day!

Offline Joe Bernastat

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2019, 01:40:33 PM »
1985* Cincinnati 29, YSU 27
1985 Eastern Michigan 27, YSU 22
1984 YSU 27, Cincinnati 23
1984* YSU 31, Eastern Michigan 7
1982 Cincinnati 27, YSU 3
1981 YSU 19, Cincinnati 13

There you go Joe. If they are wrong then blame the YSu record book that I copied and pasted from.

BTW, the original post did not even mention a year, I just stated we beat Cinci. Quite factual don't you think? SO if you have a point to make about the post's topic, then do so. No reason to discredit anything. (It is like someone making a point that we were in WWII. They said the attack on Pearl Harbor was on December 7, 1940. It does not discredit the point). Also I was thinking of Mississippi when I said Missouri. I spoke with a contact and that was actually Mississippi College that we defeated ...not Old Miss.

Stop trying to defend yourself. Everyone here knows that you have limited knowledge. You specifically said a couple of things that were just flat out wrong. As you often do.  Just admit it. Don’t try to defend. Maybe then you won’t be the laughingstock and object of ridicule that you are to many of us. 

Missouri, Mississippi, Mississippi College, 1981, 1982, 1984. You’re all over the place sometimes. Often incoherent.

If you don’t like it, too bad. Boot me.  Just sad it that you are wrong, when you often are. Maybe you won’t look like such a buffoon.
Joe Cool