YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Bobby Morris

<< < (5/10) > >>

YSU1:
we are not the team of the 90's

go guins:

--- Quote from: YSU1 on September 25, 2019, 11:55:06 AM ---we are not the team of the 90's

--- End quote ---
If you say so, I still can't read that into what you wrote. 
In fairness, I wonder how the game has changed since then?  I could argue the gap between 1A and 1AA has narrowed substantially, and if so, then the talent in 1AA is better than it was then.  I watched us play for the championship 6 times in the 90's and thought we had the best team on the field 1 of those times.  The other 3 wins came from coaching and effort. I would further argue that there is greater talent now and the "effort and coaching teams" are no longer able to be competitive.  The last few years our talent level just hasn't been there.  Even when we went to Frisco, we simply were not competitive with JMU man to man.  Same in the semi-final game against Appy State a few years ago.  I think it is harder to win at 1AA than in the 90's  I have posed here before that man for man, this team is probably the most talented I've ever seen at YSU.  Interesting thought, isn't it?

ucfpengbuck:
qo quins,I'm slightly surprised you called this years team the most talented .   I like our Dline and our two safeties.   Not sure about the lbs and corners but they could be unhearlded type.  Might be the fastest overall defense we have seen in a while.

Special teams so far have been bad.   
Oline is too early to get a read on based on competition.
RB has been good by committee so far,would like to see one guy be the man.
wr not seeing it.
QB are game managers but that doesn't mean you can't go deep in the playoffs.

I hope you're right. Long season to go.

YSU1:
I agree with some of your points but think how many 1AA teams moved up to FBS.  Marshall, Boise, Central Florida, Georgia Southern etc.   Also there were less teams going to the play-offs.  We had some talented teams in the 90's. 

go guins:

--- Quote from: ucfpengbuck on September 25, 2019, 04:42:09 PM ---qo quins,I'm slightly surprised you called this years team the most talented .   I like our Dline and our two safeties.   Not sure about the lbs and corners but they could be unhearlded type.  Might be the fastest overall defense we have seen in a while.

Special teams so far have been bad.   
Oline is too early to get a read on based on competition.
RB has been good by committee so far,would like to see one guy be the man.
wr not seeing it.
QB are game managers but that doesn't mean you can't go deep in the playoffs.

I hope you're right. Long season to go.

--- End quote ---
When I say the team is talented that's what I mean, but that DOESN'T mean that will translate to wins.  We have guys like Craycraft, Waid and Collins sitting on the bench at QB.  IMO Collins could be the best 4th string QB in school history, but he isn't going to help us win a game.  And Waid is probably the best 3rd string QB.  It is a deep, fast, big team, but it doesn't mean we are going to win.  DeMarko Craig and Justus Reed are Sunday caliber players.  Hawkins is a very talented TE, but isn't helping us at all due to injury. I think Chapman it the best back with the fewest carries in 2 years I've ever seen, and I go back to 1967.  I don't know what Bo doesn't like, but it's something.  But given 20 carries Braxton would make us forget a lot of guys from the last 20 teams.  I like Cash and the LBs.  Kicking has been "spotty" but DeSalvo and McFadden have talent.  Whether that can summon that talent under pressure is a big question, but the legs are there. 
Talented, with a potential to be good is where we are, we are definitely NOT great by any means. But it you lined time up in sprints, weight lifting, shuttles etc. by all the measurables, they would beat every previous team.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version