Author Topic: Bobby Morris  (Read 22466 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby Morris
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 08:44:12 PM »
I watched some of their game against VMI, a Southern Conference bottom-feeder.  They don't stink.   Actually, they look about the same as Duquesne, and both RMU and Duquesne played Dayton about the same, albeit with different results.  We take this game too lightly at our peril.

Agreed.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 09:57:49 AM »
If anybody is taking Robert Morris lightly, I have one word that should be sufficient to wake them up: BUTLER
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 02:38:10 PM »
 Robert Morris is awful.  They scored 7 points and lost to an average D-2 program in Kentucky State.   We win by at least 20 without even playing well.

All four non conference opponents are not very good.   I realize Duquense won a playoff game a year ago, but they then lost 51-6 to South Dakota State. 

This schedule is not getting us ready for the conference
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 02:38:55 PM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2019, 03:25:37 PM »
since we have declined somewhat without the cupcakes we do not get that many wins

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2019, 08:32:35 AM »
since we have declined somewhat without the cupcakes we do not get that many wins
?? what does this mean?  please clarify.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2019, 11:55:06 AM »
we are not the team of the 90's

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2019, 02:49:08 PM »
we are not the team of the 90's
If you say so, I still can't read that into what you wrote. 
In fairness, I wonder how the game has changed since then?  I could argue the gap between 1A and 1AA has narrowed substantially, and if so, then the talent in 1AA is better than it was then.  I watched us play for the championship 6 times in the 90's and thought we had the best team on the field 1 of those times.  The other 3 wins came from coaching and effort. I would further argue that there is greater talent now and the "effort and coaching teams" are no longer able to be competitive.  The last few years our talent level just hasn't been there.  Even when we went to Frisco, we simply were not competitive with JMU man to man.  Same in the semi-final game against Appy State a few years ago.  I think it is harder to win at 1AA than in the 90's  I have posed here before that man for man, this team is probably the most talented I've ever seen at YSU.  Interesting thought, isn't it?

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2019, 04:42:09 PM »
qo quins,I'm slightly surprised you called this years team the most talented .   I like our Dline and our two safeties.   Not sure about the lbs and corners but they could be unhearlded type.  Might be the fastest overall defense we have seen in a while.

Special teams so far have been bad.   
Oline is too early to get a read on based on competition.
RB has been good by committee so far,would like to see one guy be the man.
wr not seeing it.
QB are game managers but that doesn't mean you can't go deep in the playoffs.

I hope you're right. Long season to go.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2019, 04:45:20 PM »
I agree with some of your points but think how many 1AA teams moved up to FBS.  Marshall, Boise, Central Florida, Georgia Southern etc.   Also there were less teams going to the play-offs.  We had some talented teams in the 90's. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2019, 09:17:53 AM »
qo quins,I'm slightly surprised you called this years team the most talented .   I like our Dline and our two safeties.   Not sure about the lbs and corners but they could be unhearlded type.  Might be the fastest overall defense we have seen in a while.

Special teams so far have been bad.   
Oline is too early to get a read on based on competition.
RB has been good by committee so far,would like to see one guy be the man.
wr not seeing it.
QB are game managers but that doesn't mean you can't go deep in the playoffs.

I hope you're right. Long season to go.
When I say the team is talented that's what I mean, but that DOESN'T mean that will translate to wins.  We have guys like Craycraft, Waid and Collins sitting on the bench at QB.  IMO Collins could be the best 4th string QB in school history, but he isn't going to help us win a game.  And Waid is probably the best 3rd string QB.  It is a deep, fast, big team, but it doesn't mean we are going to win.  DeMarko Craig and Justus Reed are Sunday caliber players.  Hawkins is a very talented TE, but isn't helping us at all due to injury. I think Chapman it the best back with the fewest carries in 2 years I've ever seen, and I go back to 1967.  I don't know what Bo doesn't like, but it's something.  But given 20 carries Braxton would make us forget a lot of guys from the last 20 teams.  I like Cash and the LBs.  Kicking has been "spotty" but DeSalvo and McFadden have talent.  Whether that can summon that talent under pressure is a big question, but the legs are there. 
Talented, with a potential to be good is where we are, we are definitely NOT great by any means. But it you lined time up in sprints, weight lifting, shuttles etc. by all the measurables, they would beat every previous team.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2019, 02:06:53 PM »
The teams in the 90's had those intangibles that all good teams have.  The will to win, working as a team, making sacrifices for the team, enthusiasm, swagger.  We had it then, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern and currently North Dakota State have it or had it.  In addition in the 90's we were lucky to have no major injuries.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2019, 05:47:10 PM »
For me, the '93 and '94 teams were the best that we ever had.  '91 and '97 were spectacular overachievers, and that is not a knock but a complement. 

Ron Strollo has said during interviews several times that he could not play at this level today.  I think that the talent level in the MVFC is better than anything that we faced in the 90s.  Remember that there were no "instant" transfers then.  Going from IA to IAA meant sitting out a year, and I suspect big time refugees ended up at MAC schools.

Yet I agree with YSU1 that intangibles are vital and that we had them in abundance during the 90s. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2019, 06:03:35 PM »
I would say that the gap between IA/FBS and I-AA/FCS has increased dramatically & will be even greater now that newbies can play 4 games. Scholarship changes most-likely. In the 50's-early 70's YSU had 3 QB's play professionally. We beat Cinci and played well against Missouri. We were DII. It has to due with opportunity to play:
 The game began as Football colleges & universities vs non-football colleges and universities.
-Then it became the NCAA with University vs. College.
-Then it became College & Universities vs Small Colleges and universities.
-Then it became DI vs DII.
-Then it became DI vs. D-II vs D-III and the addition of NAIA as a governing body with DI, DII and DIII.
-Then it was IA vs I-AA vs D-II vs D-III vs NAIA
-Now it is FBS vs FCS vs D-II vs D-III vs NAIA. Also the scholarship equivalents have made almost half of the non-scholarship DI schools begin offering financial aid. Let's also not forget that FBS may require all athletes on scholarship, but it does not state how much. Many MAC players were getting little or no scholarship dollars, but now the schools realize this will not do. Thus increasing the gap even further with TV contracts.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 06:06:41 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Joe Bernastat

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2019, 07:48:58 PM »
Never played Missouri.
Joe Cool

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2019, 06:41:32 AM »
Never played Missouri.
Did not beat Cinci either. I was at the game at Stamburgh. We lost in last second in a goal line stand when Naduzzi was called for delay of game. The ref stopped the clock (Cinci did not have any more Time off) and Cinni scored on the next play as time expired.
Can anyone else verify my account of that game?