YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Duquesne Week

<< < (9/9)

ysubigred:

--- Quote from: Penquin68 on September 16, 2019, 03:33:06 PM ---On another issue it seems that teams are trying to get tall wide receivers on our shorter dbs, especially number 2 and 7.  Many pass interference penalties when they make contact with the receivers.  Not sure what we can do in the future about this, but it seems like it will be an issue all season.

Punting is also an issue.  Watched 43 punting in warm-ups and he can really boom the ball.  In the game with a rush and at times less than ideal snaps, he has had trouble. I think this will improve.

QB play better than I expected.  Hope it holds together.

D and O lines are fine.  RB is fine. Receivers fine. Tight ends really good. Line backers fine.  Safeties fine. Corners may be an issue.

My uneducated opinions.

--- End quote ---

You did a fine job on evaluations there 68. My biggest concern is the penalties. I mentioned when the heat is turned up in conference play and not the stiffs we faced so far how are they going to react?  I'm hoping it's a bit of a bully syndrome and some playing down to the competition causing the mental lapse. The ref's are really watching the Guins because of this stuff so it seem like they will be called for anything. my two cent on that.

IAA Fan:
Some good opinions there 68. I also noted that Duquesne played opposite side to #55 after the first couple of series...that guy can play.

HappyPenguin:
Our corners are going to get their fair share of PI penalties.

That's just how we play, tight man coverage, with a lot of contact. Them being short doesn't help, its very tempting for a QB to throw it up and see what happens.

They are killing themselves by not getting their heads around and looking for the ball. I know that face guarding isn't a penalty in NCAA, but the look of a DB with his hands all over a guy is a LOT different if he is looking to play off the receiver and go for the ball or if he is impeding the receiver and has his back to the play.

As long as these guys play like they are following the receivers around and grabbing, the flags will come.

If I'm RMU I throw deep at least 15 times against those guys. Half fly pattern half back shoulder\comeback throws. The way things are going now you'll probably get 10 or more completions and penalties on those 15 throws.

Think back to the season opener. The Samford coach was livid after the picks, because our guys made contact. And they did, no question they had hands around the waist and were hand fighting with the receivers. But they were also looking back at the QB and making a play for the ball, so no call.

I think the success of our D is really that simple. If the CB can hang 1-1 without getting PI calls we can beat most anyone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version