YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Howard Week

<< < (9/10) > >>

go guins:
What do you say about a team that punts for almost twice the average as it's RUN game?
We averaged 11.6 yards rushing and 22.5 punting?!?!?!?  I've NEVER seen a relationship like that! 
We missed multiple extra points and punting was TERRIBLE, neither will fly in the MVFC.  Things need to pick up a TON.  Special teams, downfield pass coverage, passing game, and mental discipline on penalties all need HUGE improvement. 

go guins:
You don't often score 54 and lose time of possession, but you also don't have 4 scoring drives that TOTAL just  over a minute!  32 8 13 & 12.  That was some historically bad run efense.  (not a spelling error, there was no D in it!)

IAA Fan:
Mays is a much better passer this year then last. I did not say he was a great passer; if he was, he would not have been sitting behind Wells, as Wells had no legs. Why would you think Mays is some great runner? He is a clear drop-back guy. What you saw on the other side was a running QB. That being said, this team operates well under Mays and he is "clearly" the man until injury or Craycraft dramatically improves his game.

Also, Craycraft or Waid will not start for this team after 2019.

go guins:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on September 10, 2019, 03:10:45 PM ---Mays is a much better passer this year then last. I did not say he was a great passer; if he was, he would not have been sitting behind Wells, as Wells had no legs. Why would you think Mays is some great runner? He is a clear drop-back guy. What you saw on the other side was a running QB. That being said, this team operates well under Mays and he is "clearly" the man until injury or Craycraft dramatically improves his game.

Also, Craycraft or Waid will not start for this team after 2019.

--- End quote ---
Wells had 2 legs, they just didn't move very fast! 
Sometime we should watch the same game.  Mays was off target on every single throw the threw Saturday. You are measuring him against two pretty bad defenses, including Howard, which was perhaps the worst I've ever seen in FCS football, and I've seen some really bad teams.  Newton was as good as I've seen for a LONG time.  He was a one man show that gave us fits all day.  Take away the sack yardage from rushing yards and he was 300+ passing and 100+ rushing.  And I believe we have a D good enough to make the playoffs.
Last year Mays was 222 of 44 50% for 304 yards This year 18 for 32 56% for 306.  Maybe that is very slim marginal improvement, but to say flat out   "Mays is a much better passer this year then last"  isn't born out at the game or in the stats.   Craycraft is clearly the better thrower and we had better get him ready for the MVFC or I fear we are going to go 2-6 and miss the playoffs again.
I don't understand "Craycraft or Waid won't start after 2019"  Obviously both can't start but do you mean the "loser" will transfer?  The could certainly happen but if both are here, both will start 10 games over the next 2 years due to injury.

IAA Fan:
No question on Craycraft, that is why he is getting so much playing time; but that is not helping us for 2019 at this point. We just have to see how Craycraft does, but I am far more comfortable with Mays at the helm at this point. His passing in week-1 was terrific ...weak team or not. Craycraft is a far too obvious pattern passer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version