YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Penguin Game Day: Samford

<< < (7/10) > >>

Wick250:
"Nice business trip" is the perfect way to sum this up.  Much to like about today:

No turnovers.
We could operate with two backs and the qb under the center (I feared those were lost arts.)
Long drive, all on the ground, to remove all doubt in the fourth quarter.
Mays looked like a competent game manager.  But would you bet anything of value about his health?
Craycraft made a good first impression.

OK, Samford has an awful defense and we have much work to do on special team coverage.  But consider how you feel right now and remember the agony in the aftermath of the 2018 opener.

penguinpower:
I was so happy to see I-formation power football with play action. It was so refreshing to see us get back to our roots

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on August 24, 2019, 06:49:56 PM ---Only IAA would bring up Monty 2 years in the past coaching somewhere nobody’s heard of on a day like today lol.

Good 1st game. D is very solid at all 3 levels. O-Line played better than I thought. Still concerned about QB and WR play but we’ll see as the season goes along.

--- End quote ---

Why not? We ran almost Monty's exact offense in the first half ... "exact". Something YSU did not do last year. We absolutely did not play the precious offesne that Bo pushed on us. You just refuse to admit Montgomery was the best coach YSU has had in years, if not my lifetime and we let him walk. Besides. Montgomery's team is  is #1-ranked and going to beat WVa & they know it. In addition they sold over 2,500 tickets to Frisco in the last 2-days.

We had just as much wrong in the second half today as we had right in the first. Not the least of which is a typical Pelini-coached defense that was "torched" by a rookie with an arm that can throw the ball. Don't get me wrong, lot's of questions answered today, but we are far from a balance group of football players. Run by committee? No dominance up front on O & we never even substituted up front. Take away the scores off of TO's and we barely win the game.

Despite the lack of sacks, they had more TFL's than we did.

Here is your OL participation for the game (2 of these played only a handful of downs):

68    Jordan Velez
71    Devon Robinson
74    Jacob Zinni
75    Myles Douglas
76    Mike McAllister
77    Dan Becker

We cannot play the MVFC with this, as we are going to continue to struggle in the late 2nd Quarter and most of the second halves.

Some positives. Mays played up to his potential. McFadden & DeSalvo were excellent, although I would have liked to see more punts to the sidelines, but his leg-strength is there. Over 40" time-of-possesion. St. Surin, Chapman,  Jones, Mitchell,
Reed,

Richmond is a completely rebuilt player ...wow. Jones, Harper Madison, Ford, Craig and Smalls all played well.

HappyPenguin:
2 weeks to improve and get ready for a home game.

I don't think anyone predicted a game this lopsided, yet some of us sound like we were on the losing end of things.

Enjoy it, lets see what kinds of improvements we see on the 7th. Things like special teams overages are very fixable. If we don't see improvements, then its time for concern.

Outside of O line, a lot of guys saw some time. That's a huge plus. Let's see how the coaches take advantage of this extra week of practice.

YSUGO:
I haven’t watched the game yet   But this is a way better start than last year.  I feel that when we have both Pelini’s together we have 2 of the best coaches in FCS.  Let’s build on the positives on this game it was a road win and  all we need to do is go 6-4 to make the playoffs.  Cheers to being 1-0!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version