YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Samford Game

<< < (6/7) > >>

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: Kandrase on August 22, 2019, 12:36:20 PM ---
--- Quote from: IAA Fan on August 21, 2019, 03:37:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: goodnews on August 20, 2019, 03:47:22 PM ---If YSU is fortunate enough to WIN and be 1-0 it doesn't guarantee 4-0.  I would be concerned about Duquesne as they seem to improve every year and always seem to add FBS transfers that contribute.

--- End quote ---

Good Post! Samford is not the most-challenging team of the first 4. They are very 1-dimensional on offense. May be the best D of the 4 though. With the loss of Hodges, they may need to run the ball.

--- End quote ---

Who is going to be more challenge? The other 3 are at home, 2 are reduced scholarship and 1 was 4-6 last year.

I just remembered Duquesne won a playoff game last year. So I guess you can make an argument for them... but we usually just roll Duquesne at home and I just don’t think it’ll be much different this year

--- End quote ---

You can say that, but we should roll over Samford as well & did not the last time we played them. Also, the last time we were rebuilding we had to score in the final seconds to go into OT against RMU. Duquesne did well early last year & then injuries took their toll, but SDSU won comfortably. I was actually talking about Butler (recalling our embarrassment last year), but I forgot it was replaced with Howard. My mistake. Let's not overlook Howard though, just the kind of game to get us in trouble. Howard played well against OU, Bethune-Cookman, FLAMU and Bryant last year. They almost beat UNLV the year before. Newton and Ezzard make a real good combination, both players (QB and WR) are the best in the MEAC.

ytownchief22:
It's going to come down to which team can adjust better in the 2nd half. I expect a close game down to the wire.

The YO Show:
I'm excited football is coming back! I hope my penguins win this one.

Penquin68:
Looking forward to the game. I am cautiously optimistic; my only big concern is QB as with most.  I hope our Farrell running back, Chapman, is ready to give us a big and somewhat fast RB like Tamron or the RB we had from the Akron area; can't recall his name now. That will take the heat off the passing game. Also saw our scrimmages and the the O and D lines looked ok to me. Much improved safety play also. I know I am a fan so I hope I am right not just hoping for a big turn around. The league sure doesn't think much of us. Tomorrow will be interesting.

penguinpower:
If our defense is as good as what I’ve read on all of these message boards and we can run the ball it should be our game as long as we don’t turn the ball over. I’ve read a few articles that say they are a pass first team but I’ve also read that they do have a good running game. If the game is won on the line of scrimmage as I believe it to be, then we have the advantage as long as we don’t commit stupid penalties or turnovers. If we are see average QB play it should be enough with our defense being the strength of the team. The problem is that it is the first game and mistakes can be be costly to the point where you can’t recover. If we end up with penalties, blown assignments on defense or interceptions and fumbles on offense we will blow it just like what happened last year. Good teams don’t let you get away with that. It sounds to me that they are well coached and just do what they do, meaning they have an identity on offense unlike what we had last year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version