YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Samford Game

(1/7) > >>

ytownchief22:
Well folks, it's game week. Let's get it started!

ysubigred:
From the East Liverpool Review

YSU kicks off 150th season of college football

YOUNGSTOWN — Even though Youngstown State’s football history began nearly 70 years after the birth of college football, the Penguins will be a part of the opening game of the sport’s 150th season.

YSU will face the Samford Bulldogs at 3 p.m. Saturday in the sixth annual FCS Kickoff at the Cramton Bowl in Montgomery, Alabama. The game will be nationally broadcast on ESPN.

“It didn’t really strike me until I saw these patches on our uniform,” West Branch graduate and senior offensive lineman Jake Zinni said. “I was like ‘Man, 150 years of college football is pretty sweet and I get to be a part of that.'”

https://www.reviewonline.com/sports/local-sports/2019/08/ysu%e2%80%88kicks-off-150th-season-of-college-football/

Double ET:
Chief22,

Did they announce the starting line up yet?

Wick250:
ET,

Pelini's first radio program is this evening.  We may or may not learn more today.

Most of you could not care less about this, but the NCAA is celebrating the 150th anniversity of absolutely nothing.  The notion that Rutgers and Princeton played the first "football" game in 1869 is as ridiculous as the myth that Abner Doubleday created baseball.  Yes, students from those schools met and played a game....it was like freakin' soccer.  You advanced the ball by KICKING it or batting it with your hand.  You COULD NOT RUN WITH THE BALL and you COULD NOT TACKLE ANYBODY. >:(

REAL FOOTBALL evolved from rugby which students from McGill University in Canada introduced to Harvard students in 1874.  The next year, Harvard and Yale played a rugby style game much more similar to real football than that soccer-like junk.  A young Yale student played in that game.... Walter Camp.  He would subsequently be the central force in forming football out of rugby over the next several decades as the Yale team captain and then long-time coach.

Sorry for this rant.

YSU1:
Maybe YSU can play some REAL football this year.  Losing to Butler last year was devastating.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version