YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Camp Thread

<< < (12/13) > >>

Wick250:
Goodnews.  Excellent point that is hard to disagree with.  But let's look at this from another perspective. Wolford had many veteran coaches and constantly bragged about them.  Yet those he brought in on the defensive side of the ball failed, and failed badly.

On the other hand, Tressel had Conatser (spelling?) and veteran and respected high school coach Bob Stoops.  Usually, the rest of this staff consisted of young coaches trying to make their mark in the profession: Dantonio, Bollman, Treadwell, Heacock, the much maligned Klacek, and even student volunteer Mangino.  All of these men advanced to be head coaches at the college level or coordinators at big time programs.  All of them had the same standing as the "kids" that Pelini uses when they worked at YSU.

So given the financial restrictions of FCS football, is it better to hire inexperienced, ambitious young assistants or established, experienced veterans looking for jobs?  Or perhaps a mixture of both.

go guins:

--- Quote from: goodnews on August 13, 2019, 07:56:42 PM ---We have a chance to be a good football team according to the head coach.

--- End quote ---
And two years ago the Browns had a chance to win the super bowl.  (It just wasn't a good chance!)

go guins:
Now we are going to blame the mess that is the YSU offensive on the assistant coaches?  Give me the Browns DL and I'll be a good DL coach,  Give Bill Belichick me and 3 of my friends and he'll be a TERRIBLE DL coach.  College football is all about recruiting.  I think we may have some decent 1AA QB talent on the roster, but there are serious questions at OL, TB WR and TE.  I've watched Tom Brady for years, that SOB can't throw a lick when laying on his back.  I'll bet we find the same is true for Mays, Craycraft Waid, et. al. 

ytownchief22:
One quick note. There's another quality control coach on staff in Devin Jordan who was a WR at Ohio State and was a student assistant under JT. Holds almost every receiving record at Massillon high school. Not a bad guy to have on staff.

Double ET:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on August 20, 2019, 12:08:11 PM ---One quick note. There's another quality control coach on staff in Devin Jordan who was a WR at Ohio State and was a student assistant under JT. Holds almost every receiving record at Massillon high school. Not a bad guy to have on staff.

--- End quote ---

What is his responsibility?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version