YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Camp Thread

<< < (2/13) > >>

go guins:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on July 31, 2019, 10:21:47 AM ---Defense carrying things so far. Look legit.

--- End quote ---
If Reed is healthy, and he is making all the right statements, and with Carl back, this D should be legit. 
However, the O has HUGE questions.  If Craycraft can't clearly win the QB job, it means he is, at best, competitive with Mays, which we all (with the exception of 1AA) know isn't nearly good enough.  We have questions with every OL position except center and the center, RB, TE and WR. Other than that, we're fine, unless we get close but can't push it in, we have kicking issues too!  REALLY hard to win games 14-10 with the spread.  Scores are more like 31-28 and we don't look like we can put up 31 against Fitch much less the MVFC

ytownchief22:
Carl is more focused on the offensive side of the ball, not the D. Bo is handling most of the D work.

Disagree with the kicking issues. Gonya is going to be good. McFadden probably just on kickoffs only.

WR is probably the biggest question mark with QB but with Mallory, Shackleford, Braswell, St. Surin and some other surprises, they should be okay.

TE is in good shape with Joiner and Hawkins. Backups are strong blockers and doing well.

RB will be Turner mostly with Chapman in short yardage and Alessi worked in every once in awhile.

OL look better than I thought. Coach Pete is coaching them up well.

ytownchief22:
Big blow as Shackleford has a torn ACL. Done for the year.

go guins:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on July 31, 2019, 11:49:31 AM ---Carl is more focused on the offensive side of the ball, not the D. Bo is handling most of the D work.

Disagree with the kicking issues. Gonya is going to be good. McFadden probably just on kickoffs only.

WR is probably the biggest question mark with QB but with Mallory, Shackleford, Braswell, St. Surin and some other surprises, they should be okay.

TE is in good shape with Joiner and Hawkins. Backups are strong blockers and doing well.

RB will be Turner mostly with Chapman in short yardage and Alessi worked in every once in awhile.

OL look better than I thought. Coach Pete is coaching them up well.

--- End quote ---
Both guys can coach D, just glad somebody is focused on it. 
Let's see, while it's true Gonya and McFadden's combined have NEVER MISSED a college kick, being a combined 0 for 0 isn't exactly what I would describe as good, more like a big question. 
WR, and I quote you "and some other surprises, they should be okay."  You're counting on "surprises" to get OK?  When you have huge questions at QB and you are looking for "surprises" at WR to get to "OK" that is pretty speculative.
TE has a huge issue with Hawkins recovery, and at this point, saying it's fine is again IMO speculative.
We have seen Turner run for 3 years and he can be an effective change of pace back and a good receiver, but we have NEVER seen him look like a consistent every down back.  My guess is Chapman wins the job in camp, but still a question mark in my mind.
Even with the OL being "coached up" there are still HUGE questions at QB!

I appreciate unbridled fan optimism, but we were what 5-7 and frankly I thing 6-6 sounds wildly optimistic to me.  I think we are going to be 3-0 going into conference, but I see us as underdogs in our first 7 MVFC games.

go guins:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on July 31, 2019, 12:47:47 PM ---Big blow as Shackleford has a torn ACL. Done for the year.

--- End quote ---
Too bad for Darius.  I wish him the best in recover.
You want to know how desperate we are?  This is a senor with 3 years playing experience and a grand total of 11 catches, 4 in one game (so 17 games with a total of 7 catches) and we call his loss a "Big blow"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version