YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Baseball and Softball

<< < (2/4) > >>

go guins:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on March 11, 2019, 11:33:38 AM ---Here is the thing that is so perplexing and disturbing about the softball team.  We have hitters in that lineup that were productive last season.  Many are now performing at 100-200 points below their career stats.  We actually have a .400 hitter from last season who is struggling to stay about the Mendoza line!  Poor winter training habits?  Lack of motivation?  I have no idea.

Baseball is a big problem.  We just got annihilated by another northern team this weekend.  How much longer are we going to pump money into an expensive program that can't seem to compete?  Is the addition of the men's swimming team the beginning of the end?  I sure hope not but it would not shock me.

--- End quote ---
Women's hitting:  Hitters hit.  If somebody is a .300 hitter then they are going to hit .300. Maybe that bodes well for league play?
Men's swimming vs baseball?  That's silly.  If we were going to replace baseball with men's swimming we would't need to be screwing around with women's lacrosse for title IX compliance.

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on March 11, 2019, 11:33:38 AM ---Here is the thing that is so perplexing and disturbing about the softball team.  We have hitters in that lineup that were productive last season.  Many are now performing at 100-200 points below their career stats.  We actually have a .400 hitter from last season who is struggling to stay about the Mendoza line!  Poor winter training habits?  Lack of motivation?  I have no idea.

Baseball is a big problem.  We just got annihilated by another northern team this weekend.  How much longer are we going to pump money into an expensive program that can't seem to compete?  Is the addition of the men's swimming team the beginning of the end?  I sure hope not but it would not shock me.

--- End quote ---

Some of us had that same conversation at the pregame party Wick. My thought is "no", as we are adding Ladies Lacrosse.

Wick250:
There is nothing silly about this.  We are operating at the DI minimum for men's sports, so baseball was "safe" by default.  Now, baseball could be eliminated without impacting our DI status.  Again, I don't want this to happen, but given the costs of a baseball program and the constant failures, it becomes a viable option.

IAA Fan:
Oh I think it is very serious as well Wick. The reason I say "no" is because of Bowling and now Lacrosse, we need to keep baseball. Baseball was on the chopping block just 2-years ago. I suspect that the addition of bowling  had something to do with keeping it. Also, we have adding some big money (at least in terms of baseball) series' the last 3 or 4 years. I am not really certain just how much a 3-game series pays against a p5 club.

You are correct, we should have held our own against Miami (at least a split). We should have taken the final game in at least one of the p-5 series. You see, most of the major DI clubs have  2 or 3 quality starters ...then some young guys. YSU has to rotate our #1 back in for 3 & 4 games series. These two things usually gives us an advantage; as we can hit off the young guys and our 1 and 2 in the pitching rotation should be able to hold their own. We should play fairly-even further down in the rotation.

ytownchief22:
Baseball is a loser and will always be a loser because there is no on campus stadium.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version