YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

What a Surprise! Two more championships!

<< < (3/4) > >>

go guins:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on February 25, 2019, 06:35:38 PM ---Brian Gorby is one hell of a coach.

--- End quote ---
Very relevant comment.  Certainly Zallow is the linchpin, but this is not a "one man show."  I'm sure several coaches, trainers, recruiters are doing a great job, but it always starts at the top.  I echo Chief: "Great job Brian!

ysuguins4:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on February 24, 2019, 10:03:45 PM ---No, he would be eligible.  If you play one sport for four years (without a redshirt) you can play a second sport for one more season.  About 15 years ago, we actually had a football player turn to basketball for his fifth season.  Don't remember the name.
--- End quote ---

You may be thinking of Brian Radakovich who played basketball and then one year of football.

Wick250:
Brian Gorby is the best head coach on this campus.  He deserves all the accolades that he receives.  But sprints coach (and former YSU football player) Dave Townsend also deserves a ton of credit.  Sprints, both men and women, are the bedrock of this program and have been that way for a long time. 

Guins4, Radakovich is an excellent example of that 4 + 1 rule, but I am thinking of a wide receiver or tight end who played under Tressel.  Must be more like 25 years ago rather than 15.  He then joined the basketball team that was still coached, I think, by Stroia.  We were so bad that he was one of our better basketball players for that year, although he was four years removed from playing b-ball in high school.

IAA Fan:
Good point on Gorby. I eman, we were a 2-coach team until just a few years ago. Gorby built the team beginning with distance/steeple runners (both of the coaches were former champions. Beyond that, I would would say our fat men/women are the real bedrock of our track team. Sprints over the last few years, but we have had so many national qualifiers in Shot-put (M&W) and hammer (especially ladies weight throw).

Let's not forget that much of our success is because we are in the HL. If we were in the MVC, not so certain we would be as successful. I also credit Stroll for freeing up funds for salaries and equipment

NineIron:
Wick,

I believe the player you are thinking of is Ray Ellington from the late 80's early 90's.  Great Athlete.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version