YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Which teams should leave FBS?

<< < (2/2)

Penquin68:
Very rare that a 1A team drops down to FCS.  Just not done very often.  Kent, Akron, and others never make the attendance numbers, but they still stay FBS.  I always thought we would be in a league with them, but not any more.  We can't afford FBS and they have too much ego to drop down to our level.

fbs.  The MAC plays many weekday games to get the TV money and stay solvent.  I wish it were different, but it is not.  Since the 70"s I thought we would get in a league with them, but I have given up.  Just not there.

Double ET:

--- Quote from: Penquin68 on January 31, 2019, 09:44:56 PM ---Very rare that a 1A team drops down to FCS.  Just not done very often.  Kent, Akron, and others never make the attendance numbers, but they still stay FBS.  I always thought we would be in a league with them, but not any more.  We can't afford FBS and they have too much ego to drop down to our level.

fbs.  The MAC plays many weekday games to get the TV money and stay solvent.  I wish it were different, but it is not.  Since the 70"s I thought we would get in a league with them, but I have given up.  Just not there.

--- End quote ---

Akron is in severe budget problem. Their president got fired and they just eliminated over 40 academic programs to save $. They lost $$ in their football program and yet, still decided to stay in FBS to loss more $$, go figure! They must enjoy the name recognition that comes with FBS.

go guins:

--- Quote from: Double ET on January 31, 2019, 11:09:40 PM ---
--- Quote from: Penquin68 on January 31, 2019, 09:44:56 PM ---Very rare that a 1A team drops down to FCS.  Just not done very often.  Kent, Akron, and others never make the attendance numbers, but they still stay FBS.  I always thought we would be in a league with them, but not any more.  We can't afford FBS and they have too much ego to drop down to our level.

--- End quote ---

Akron is in severe budget problem. Their president got fired and they just eliminated over 40 academic programs to save $. They lost $$ in their football program and yet, still decided to stay in FBS to loss more $$, go figure! They must enjoy the name recognition that comes with FBS.

--- End quote ---
For now, yes, ego rules at Akron, Kent, and Buffalo among a ton of others, but at some point the budge becomes overpowering and practically may win out.  I actually see more schools simply dropping football than dropping back a level, tells you how strong ego can be. Would be great to have a mid-continent 1AA conference centered around Akron Buffalo, Kent and YSU, but, at 69 I probably won't live long enough!  At least with JT we have a leader smart enough not to follow those other guys down the rabbit hole!

guinpen:

--- Quote from: go guins on February 01, 2019, 09:50:01 AM ---
--- Quote from: Double ET on January 31, 2019, 11:09:40 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
For now, yes, ego rules at Akron, Kent, and Buffalo among a ton of others, but at some point the budge becomes overpowering and practically may win out.  I actually see more schools simply dropping football than dropping back a level, tells you how strong ego can be. Would be great to have a mid-continent 1AA conference centered around Akron Buffalo, Kent and YSU, but, at 69 I probably won't live long enough!  At least with JT we have a leader smart enough not to follow those other guys down the rabbit hole!

--- End quote ---

Not that I think it would happen but it may be easier for them if 2-4 schools would do it at the same time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version