YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

MBB vs CSU

<< < (3/3)

mudclods:
Rebounding is one of YSU's strong suits, but even when we get offensive rebounds we have trouble scoring inside unless it's a tip in.  Our 4 bigs (Pederson, Ababir, Holcombe & Sally) are averaging a combined 8.5 points per game.  Pederson just cannot stay out of foul trouble & seems to lack strength.  Anabir is much improved this year, but really isn't a D1 starter.  Holcombe has nice size but him & Sally don't seem to be very athletic. 

The first 25 mins or so of the Cleveland St. game was the typical problem we have with no inside presence and when we can't shoot outside, and the lack of a real go to guy.  Everyone starts standing around and we just start firing 3 pointers hoping to get hot.  I really thought if we could have stayed within 10 at half we would still win that game but that didn't happen and they went on that 7-0 run to start the 2nd half & it was too much to overcome even though we played pretty good after that.  It's hard to believe after YSU started the game up 5-0 and should have been more they outscored us by 29 until YSU started playing better.   

Wick250:
In the old days, Dom Rosselli had one assistant coach.  Yet his teams were fundamentally sound and sometimes defeated opponents with superior athletes just by making proper decisions and being at the right spot on the court.  Today in DI basketball, there are a small army of assistants on the bench.  I am not questioning the basketball credentials of our coaches, but I now doubt their teaching abilities.  When their pupils make the same mistakes over and over, it is an indictment of this staff.

mudclods:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on January 28, 2019, 05:27:27 PM ---In the old days, Dom Rosselli had one assistant coach.  Yet his teams were fundamentally sound and sometimes defeated opponents with superior athletes just by making proper decisions and being at the right spot on the court.  Today in DI basketball, there are a small army of assistants on the bench.  I am not questioning the basketball credentials of our coaches, but I now doubt their teaching abilities.  When their pupils make the same mistakes over and over, it is an indictment of this staff.

--- End quote ---

It's an interesting point you bring up...I've often wondered that myself. 

ucfpengbuck:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on January 28, 2019, 05:27:27 PM ---In the old days, Dom Rosselli had one assistant coach.  Yet his teams were fundamentally sound and sometimes defeated opponents with superior athletes just by making proper decisions and being at the right spot on the court.  Today in DI basketball, there are a small army of assistants on the bench.  I am not questioning the basketball credentials of our coaches, but I now doubt their teaching abilities.  When their pupils make the same mistakes over and over, it is an indictment of this staff.

--- End quote ---

That same asst coach was the YSU men's JV coach that was played before the Varsity game.   The walk on players and some freshmen got a lot of experience.  Not sure of when and why that went away ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version