YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Pelini Contract

<< < (5/6) > >>

mvfc penguin:
I played for Wolford (not Pelini). From my observations, it seems as if Wolford was one heck of a recruiter (top notch), and Pelini is one heck of a coach. Unfortunately you typically don't get both. Look at when we were in the FCS Championship (most of the players were Wolf's) but were coached by Pelini. A lot also has to be said about the assistants. Wolf could recruit them as well (Mangino for example), unfortunately is seems that Pelini seems to be lacking in that department as well.
Just some food for thought as they both are local guys with the same 'local homeboys'.

ytownchief22:

--- Quote from: YSUFANSINCE1990 on January 14, 2019, 09:43:27 AM ---  Chief, you are correct, but he doesn't seem to be able to handle the media in Youngstown.  He blows off radio and TV shows, when players were suspended a few years ago during the playoffs, that was butchered by YSU as well.

As for doing what Tressel did, thats over!  Not going to happen again in our lifetime!   Winning 3 titles in 4 years, 4 in a decade, once in a lifetime stuff.   Playoffs every 3 of 4 years should be the goal.  With 24 teams, its not that hard.

--- End quote ---

It will get done some time next month. 3 year deal.

FOOTBALLFEVER:
I do think Bo is one heck of a defensive coach probably best in the business. He also deeply cares about his players and the life after football aspect for them. Unfortunately this is only a small fraction of what it takes to be a successful head coach these days. My problem is his loyalty with his assistants, puts to much faith in what they are doing and really doesn't hold them accountable..zero organization in my opinion with the staff working together as one. He has brought in some good transfers during his time, but probably one to many and it continues to hurt the chemistry of the team. How about the players that are recruited here by Bo out of high school? Let's get them developed when all is lost. The way the quarterback situation has been handled the last few years is a perfect example of what I mean. Bottom line here is when you continue to have losing seasons and fail to make the playoffs it's extremely hard to recruit the players you need. The selling points for the recruits of going to a great university with great facilities means very little..Its all about the success of the programs these days

ysubigred:

--- Quote from: mvfc penguin on January 16, 2019, 10:03:59 AM ---I played for Wolford (not Pelini). From my observations, it seems as if Wolford was one heck of a recruiter (top notch), and Pelini is one heck of a coach. Unfortunately you typically don't get both. Look at when we were in the FCS Championship (most of the players were Wolf's) but were coached by Pelini. A lot also has to be said about the assistants. Wolf could recruit them as well (Mangino for example), unfortunately is seems that Pelini seems to be lacking in that department as well.
Just some food for thought as they both are local guys with the same 'local homeboys'.

--- End quote ---

In a perfect world,,,, Bring Tress out of his President office, Bo to DC, and Wolf as recruiting coordinator  8)

IAA Fan:
Good conversation. Wolf's biggest issue was his hiring of two poor DC's. Then he booted so many players his first year, it scared off recruits. Then when we were able to land coach Shane we were losing games while putting up record numbers on offense. Look at the numbers, there is not one Wolf era top-9 player in Tackles, Solo Tackles, Assists, Sacks, Break-ups. One thing that I will say about Bo ...I think that he is used to top-notch recruits (and recruiting staff) at Nebraska. The average recruit at out level needs work. I am not sure that Bo and staff put enough into the fundamentals. If Tress came back, to the sidelines, I would like to think that he would hire Heacock before Bo. Heacock brings MVFC history. They are Complimenting coaches & less chance of conflict.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version