YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Men's basketball

<< < (2/3) > >>

mudclods:
Definitely a young team and a lot of inconsistencies.  Not only is it a young team, but it's basically a totally different team from last year.  You figure 3 of the 4 returning players were freshman last year.   

Some of the positives I've seen are we have a pretty deep bench with a lot of guys that can play.  I think we're more athletic and faster than teams in the past.  Simmons really impresses me at times for being a freshman.  We've been in all 8 games at halftime and led many of them.  We're +47 rebounds, +11 blocks & +11 steals.  Our foul shooting is better than it's been in a long time.

The negatives.  We really don't have that go to guy like in the past with KP & Cam and even Hartfield.  I feel like at the moment it's Hampton, who is our leading scorer and hasn't started a game this year. Reminds me a little of Matt Donlan when he got hot.  No go to guy seems like that's really hurt us in games when we've went on scoring droughts.  While maybe Hartfield didn't fit in with the style or whatever, I feel he was a huge loss. The turnovers have been a real concern.  We're averaging 16 a game. 

I was really excited about Pederson after the first 3 games but he really hasn't been a factor since.  Naz has been strong on the boards but I was hoping for more on the scoring end.  Morgan has yet to really impress me yet.  I thought Akuchie showed flashed last year and was hoping for more of that this year but he has seemed to really struggle.  We really need an inside presence and not have to rely on outside shooting.

The rest of the non-conference is going to be tough with WVU, Ohio State and both Central & Western Michigan appear to be good.  The best chance of winning looks like Binghamton.  If we could pick up a couple wins over that final stretch it would be improvement over last year when we failed to win a D1 game in non-conference. 

Penquin68:
With all the new players the defense has really been poor.  On the women's team as long as the 6 players from last year are on the court, we are ok.  Bring in 4 or 44 and the turnovers begin and the defense suffers. The men's team just has too many new players.  They seem to have talent, but no defensive coordination.  In my opinion, we need to try to get the ball inside rather than taking quick 3s all the time.  And mix in the press only occasionally so we don't give up so many open shots. It could be a very poor year for the men.

Double ET:

--- Quote from: Penquin68 on November 30, 2018, 05:28:37 PM ---With all the new players the defense has really been poor.  On the women's team as long as the 6 players from last year are on the court, we are ok.  Bring in 4 or 44 and the turnovers begin and the defense suffers. The men's team just has too many new players.  They seem to have talent, but no defensive coordination.  In my opinion, we need to try to get the ball inside rather than taking quick 3s all the time.  And mix in the press only occasionally so we don't give up so many open shots. It could be a very poor year for the men.

--- End quote ---
Right on....
I went to one of the home game. The guys acted as if they all had green light to put up the 3 balls any time they wanted. If they could not find a team mate to pass to, they just jacked up the 3 from any where behind the arc.
If the other team broke the preens, our young guys had no idea how to play half court defense.
We didn't seem to have a regular go to guy. At this time, the go to guy is the guy with a hot hand that night.
We might win some games when we were hot on 3 balls that night. If the 3 balls from most of the guys were not dropping in, we would lose since we played poor team defense and we would not have pre-designed plays to set up the guy with the hot hand.

My 2 cents

Double ET:
Watched the WV game on Tv... The street ball continued as we got blown out again.

Penguin Nick:
I watchYSU has shown positives but the street ball mentality of not passing the ball around and just jacking up 3's has been painful to watch.  They are sloppy and undisciplined."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version