YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

The Football program is broke and time to overhaul the Athletic Department!

<< < (3/5) > >>

YSUGO:
Shane Montgomery should be available? Do we bring him back.

Northcoast Penguin:
Haven't been on this site for quite some time.  Really enjoy all of the comments.  I too used to be a Penguin Club member in the late 90's only to withdraw in the Heacock era due to the drive from Mentor, OH and the regress of the program.  Was not worth the investment or time.

Decided to attend my first game vs. Northern Iowa this in respect of the Seniors.  A couple of observations reinforced all of your comments over the season.  Keep in mind, due to the low attendance, that I sat in Section 3, Row 10 behind the Defense Players bench:

I noticed players actually DANCING to the music during the game and having conversations that nothing to do about the game.  In other words, they were not fully engaged in the activities on the football field.

Granted it was Senior Day, but since when were the players permitted to talk to acquaintances DURING THE GAME. Again, mind was not engaged into the game.

Whatever happened to the "Beehive" as player exited and entered the field?  The players came onto the field in groups, by themselves right to the sidelines.  I overheard Bo yell, as he was putting on his headset, "Let's go..get the blood flowing".  Why aren't they warming up as a group.  Mentor High School football program has better cohesiveness that the Penguins.

Very disappointing....It appearead that NO ONE was into the game.  That is the coaches fault.  Very toxic environment, IMO, and that culture is going to take a long time to change.

go guins:

--- Quote from: Northcoast Penguin on November 19, 2018, 11:48:32 AM ---Haven't been on this site for quite some time.  Really enjoy all of the comments.  I too used to be a Penguin Club member in the late 90's only to withdraw in the Heacock era due to the drive from Mentor, OH and the regress of the program.  Was not worth the investment or time.

Decided to attend my first game vs. Northern Iowa this in respect of the Seniors.  A couple of observations reinforced all of your comments over the season.  Keep in mind, due to the low attendance, that I sat in Section 3, Row 10 behind the Defense Players bench:

I noticed players actually DANCING to the music during the game and having conversations that nothing to do about the game.  In other words, they were not fully engaged in the activities on the football field.

Granted it was Senior Day, but since when were the players permitted to talk to acquaintances DURING THE GAME. Again, mind was not engaged into the game.

Whatever happened to the "Beehive" as player exited and entered the field?  The players came onto the field in groups, by themselves right to the sidelines.  I overheard Bo yell, as he was putting on his headset, "Let's go..get the blood flowing".  Why aren't they warming up as a group.  Mentor High School football program has better cohesiveness that the Penguins.

Very disappointing....It appearead that NO ONE was into the game.  That is the coaches fault.  Very toxic environment, IMO, and that culture is going to take a long time to change.

--- End quote ---
I was about 10 rows behind you (unknowing at the time, of course) and support what you say.  The funny thing is, that was our most inspired effort of the year!

guinpen:
Sounds like I will have my pick of seats next year. Yes I will be at every game.

IAA Fan:
Well Guinpen, same here.  I have mentioned this before ...my father purchased seats back in 1983, when faculty & staff were offered them for life, of course you still have to pay each year, but they are great seats. I will still be there, just as all fans should. If you are able and do not attend, I feel that you do not have a right to comment. Taking away resources (by not buying tickets, tailgate seats, souvenirs, food, etc.) does not help.

[boring story with a point] My mother is a typical old-school "Youngstowner" ... member of an old Irish family that argues over everything, on every Holiday. This year she is not attending Thanksgiving, as she is upset with my Aunt. Yet, she is criticizing the fact that we are having the dinner catered from Kroger, instead of making it ourselves ... LOL. She even complained because I ordered a tofu turkey for my son-in-law, this is on top of regular turkey, ham & roast beef. I said mom, why do you care if you are not going? If you have the same type of family ... you know she is not going to change even if she does not eat with the family. Yet if she was sitting down to eat with us and talking about the dinner as part of the dinner conversation, everyone would listen to her, whether they wanted to or not ;)

Same thing applies here. when you sit down with Ron Strollo at a Penguin Club function, you get a lot more addressed than just complaining. Renew your season tickets, join the Penguin club and express your ideas. Strollo is not going to post on this board, but he is going to shake your hand and talk with you at events. I was sitting at a basketball game and he just game down and sat beside me. He surely does not even remember my name, but he knows my face because I participate. Boycotting is not going to change anything ...participate and you become the decision-maker. Participation is not showing your approval of the team's performance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version