YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Illinois State

<< < (3/5) > >>

FOOTBALLFEVER:
Vince would be a great hire

guinpen:
A bit off topic but I cannot imagine there would be any interest in hiring a coach from Mount Union. Not knocking Vince but that is just too big of a step. More so I think Vince would be crazy to try for a job at YSU or any other college at our level or higher. He has it made where he is. Nothing wrong with being a big fish in a small pond.

Sad to see the season come to an end, not the season I hoped for but I enjoy YSU football no matter what.

Kandrase:

--- Quote from: guinpen on November 14, 2018, 06:35:50 PM ---A bit off topic but I cannot imagine there would be any interest in hiring a coach from Mount Union. Not knocking Vince but that is just too big of a step. More so I think Vince would be crazy to try for a job at YSU or any other college at our level or higher. He has it made where he is. Nothing wrong with being a big fish in a small pond.

Sad to see the season come to an end, not the season I hoped for but I enjoy YSU football no matter what.

--- End quote ---

UT Chattanooga hired John Carrols HC a few years ago, that was a d3 to d1 hire, Same thing with university of buffalo a MAC school that hired Wisconsin Whitewaters head coach in 2014. D3 to D1

It’s not exactly unprecedented.

ytownchief22:
Not to knock the guy but he inherited an already perennial power from his father. He built nothing. We're also talking D3...

Kandrase:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on November 14, 2018, 07:11:30 PM ---Not to knock the guy but he inherited an already perennial power from his father. He built nothing. We're also talking D3...

--- End quote ---

I will admit that I'm super biased, I'm both a Mount Union and YSU alum. Yes, he did inherit a perennial power, he's not his dad, but I believe their coaching philosophy works anywhere.

I wouldn't advocate any D3 guy for YSU, but Mount Union is much closer to a low level FCS team than your average D3 team. and I don't think anyone would really bat an eye if a highly succesful pioneer league coach interview for the YSU job.

For example look at their recruiting footprint. We've had a lot of complaints about BO being too in love with local guys. Well Mount Union recruits nationally, with an even higher percentage of out of state guys than we do:

Found this on Mount's website, players by home state:

3 California
7 Florida
1 Georgia
2 Illinois
3 Indiana
1 Louisiana
3 Maryland
12 Michigan
1 North Carolina
2 New Jersey
13 Pennsylvania