YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

PITT BB GAME THREAD

<< < (2/5) > >>

ucfpengbuck:
Let's not read too much in one game.  A lot of guys playing their 1st D1 game that's on the road against an ACC foe.  Shooting will get better.  a few guys were pressing. 

ytownchief22:
It's early. Lots of new guys to work in. Shooting will improve.

Double ET:
I think the coach wanted to find out more about his young players using this high level of competition. He was searching for some combinations including hid freshman point guards.
I would like to see him setup some screens for the go to 3 point shooter. It looked like the guys were throwing up random shoots from 3 point line at times.

mudclods:
I thought there were several positives to take from the game.  Thought YSU competed hard and gave themselves a chance to win, but obviously aren't going to win shooting so poorly.  Had so many good looks but just couldn't knock down shots from close and long range.   

Really thought we outplayed Pitt for close to 25 mins, but eventually the missed shots took its toll.  Had a chance to get up early and also take the lead early in the 2nd half.  Had the advantage in rebounds, blocks, steals & assists at that point and still finished ahead of Pitt in all those categories other than tying with 44 rebounds.  If you looked at those stats you'd think YSU would have a really good shot at winning.  If you take away a couple of the really bad turnovers and 2 Covington basically missed layups it's a much closer game.  He really struggled shooting the ball in general.  Thought there were several forced 3's that would have been nice to have back.

This group definitely looks faster and more athletic than past YSU teams.  The press worked several times and a couple near steals.  That's an encouraging sign.  Akuchie & Hampton looked good off the bench.  Akuchie looks like he bulked up some.  Thought he gave a nice spark and played well.         

Was definitely strange without Cam.

ucfpengbuck:
You're not going to win on the road with 20 turnovers and only 11 assists.   The assists are a little skewed with the poor shooting.  Not sure you will see that bad of shooting again this season.
Excited about some of the newcomers.  Got some enforcers around the rim.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version