YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Season is over

<< < (5/10) > >>

Kandrase:

--- Quote from: penguinpower on September 13, 2018, 12:21:35 AM ---No team that loses to a non-scholarship team or a lower level team win win the title.  Sorry, but it doesn't work that way.  We have no chance to win anything.  However, as I said earlier, we can get better but someone needs to teach the current secondary coach how to coach

--- End quote ---

Yes but that’s not the point.  IAA said nothing, including championships, can make up for the loss. If somehow despite the loss we win a title. I think it would make up for it.

Also San Diego, the pioneer league’s best team is non scholarship and won in the first round of the playoffs in 2016 and 2017... so non scholarship teams can sometimes be good enough to beat even playoff caliber scholarship programs. Sure, Butler is not San Diego, but we lost to another college football team... it happens

go guins:
Nothing can erase the stain on the reputation of YSU football that the loss to Butler has made.  That much is true.
But that does NOT mean the "season is over".  I watch MLB quite often and really enjoy the Tribe games, but even the best baseball teams lose 50-60 games a season.  You don't have to go 12-0 to enjoy the games.  We have many good young kids that will develop during the season.  Some will become good football players, most will become good teachers, engineers, etc. This is just a game. For me, it is the camaraderie of the tailgate parties, the great Youngstown weather (mostly true) and just the fun and excitement of the game.  Sure it's more fun to win, but it isn't the only thing. 

YSUGO:
First do I want the season to be over.  Absolutely not.  But I am a realist.  When I looked at the roster for this year there was a lot of question marks.  We have a good player here and there and if you look from the middle that is where you build the team.  The DL is vastly lacks talent and depth the offensive line still is a question mark, I feel the love affair for a certain lb on this staff is like the situation we had with a certain corner safety on the previous staff.  Heart and smarts is all good but if you don’t pass the eye test physically in D1 ball it’s not a recipe for success.  Then we still dont have the man at QB.  For whatever reason since Pelini been hear we can’t figure it out.  Then we lost both top assistants.  Instead of  getting quality hires we stayed in house.  So when you stir it up I see a team that has no chance to make the playoffs. This is a 4 or 5 win team maybe 6 if lucky. Since the catch at Eastern Washington we have had no luck.  The recipe for the Butler defeat was their and it happened. Let’s hope we have learned and find a way to be successful again.

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: YSUGO on September 13, 2018, 11:54:17 AM ---First do I want the season to be over.  Absolutely not.  But I am a realist.  When I looked at the roster for this year there was a lot of question marks.  We have a good player gear and there and if you look from the middle that is where you build the team.  The DL is vastly lacks talent and depth the offensive line still is a question mark, I feel the love affair for a certain lb on this staff is like the situation we had with a certain corner safety on the previous staff.  Heart and smarts is all good but if you don’t pass the eye test physically in D1 ball it’s not a recipe for success.  Then we still dont have the man at QB.  For whatever reason since Pelini been hear we can’t figure it out.  Then we lost both top assistants.  Instead of  getting quality hires we stayed in house.  So when you stir it up I see a team that has no chance to make the playoffs. This is a 4 or 5 win team maybe 6 if lucky. Since the catch at Eastern Washington we have had no luck.  The recipe for the Butler defeat was their and it happened. Let’s hope we have learned and find a way to be successful again.

--- End quote ---

Nice post. Very accurate.

go guins:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on September 13, 2018, 12:46:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: YSUGO on September 13, 2018, 11:54:17 AM ---First do I want the season to be over.  Absolutely not.  But I am a realist.  When I looked at the roster for this year there was a lot of question marks.  We have a good player gear and there and if you look from the middle that is where you build the team.  The DL is vastly lacks talent and depth the offensive line still is a question mark, I feel the love affair for a certain lb on this staff is like the situation we had with a certain corner safety on the previous staff.  Heart and smarts is all good but if you don’t pass the eye test physically in D1 ball it’s not a recipe for success.  Then we still dont have the man at QB.  For whatever reason since Pelini been hear we can’t figure it out.  Then we lost both top assistants.  Instead of  getting quality hires we stayed in house.  So when you stir it up I see a team that has no chance to make the playoffs. This is a 4 or 5 win team maybe 6 if lucky. Since the catch at Eastern Washington we have had no luck.  The recipe for the Butler defeat was their and it happened. Let’s hope we have learned and find a way to be successful again.

--- End quote ---

Nice post. Very accurate.

--- End quote ---
Ditto to 1AA's comment.  hard to argue with any of YSUGO's post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version