YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Lack of Early Football Excitement

<< < (9/10) > >>

YSUGO:
I agree.  Basically the locals are their to build depth on the back end of
Roster.  I feel we are in big trouble on both lines and at the skill positions.  I hope I am wrong. 

ucfpengbuck:
Chris Fitzgerald of East high commits to YSU

http://www.hudl.com/profile/8217417/Chris-Fitzgerald

http://www.vindy.com/news/2018/jul/29/easts-chris-fitzgerald-commits-to-pengui/

go guins:

--- Quote from: YSUGO on July 29, 2018, 12:01:59 PM ---I agree.  Basically the locals are their to build depth on the back end of
Roster.  I feel we are in big trouble on both lines and at the skill positions.  I hope I am wrong.

--- End quote ---
Soooo, do I read this as you have confidence in the LB's and kicking game?
As we stand now, we have -0- proven OTs and have lost our best DE and only proven pass rusher, so we should be concerned on the lines.  Hopefully the JUCO transfers bolster the OT position (God knows, they are big enough. Henry Yoboue is about the biggest thing I've seen on two legs!)  We will need Cook to fill his recruiting hype and Richmond to continue to develop at DE or I see issues on D.
I'm OK with the skill positions.  I think we are stronger at WR than the last few seasons, even though a couple of last year's guys are in NFL camps.  I think it is too bad Montgomery is "one and done" but I expect that one to be pretty darn good.  RB is talented and deep, TE is talented and deep. 
IMO anything short of a deep playoff run will be a disappointment.

The YO Show:
Ysu was picked 4th in conference preseason poll
NDSU
SDSU
UNI
YSU
Illinois State
South Dakota
Western illinois
SIU
Missouri State
Indiana state

Double ET:
On Vindy today:

Pelini is in final year of a 4-year deal at YSU

By Brian Dzenis

bdzenis@vindy.com

August can be a murky time in college football.

As teams start to report to camp, certain positions are unsettled.

At Youngstown State, the future of head coach Bo Pelini remains open-ended.

Pelini is in the final year of his four-year pact with the Penguins and the Youngstown native said he hasn’t had any talks with the university about his future.

“It’s something that when the time comes, we’ll talk about it. It’s something that I’m not really concerned with right now,” Pelini said. “It’s business as usual right now. I’m excited about this upcoming year. That’s what I’m focused on.

“There will be a time and a place for that.”

His $213,894 deal expires on Feb. 28, 2019. It’s the same time when Pelini’s previous employer, Nebraska, is done paying $7.65 million of buyout money after the Huskers fired Pelini following the 2014 season.

He’s gone 23-15 in three seasons in Youngstown, a run that includes a trip to the Football Championship Subdivision National Championship in 2016 and last year’s 6-5 campaign that ended with the Penguins missing the playoffs.

YSU athletic director Ron Strollo said he’s fine with waiting until the end of the season to broach the subject with Pelini.

“At the end of the year, we’ll have our evaluations and deal with it like we would any coach,” Strollo said.

From both an athletic and academic standpoint, Strollo is a fan of Pelini.

“We think he’s on the cusp of getting this program back to where we want it to be,” Strollo said. “Our hope is that he’s here for a long time and I hope we’ve made it a great place to work for him.”

PENGUINS EARN PRESEASON HONORS

Four Penguins players have made the Missouri Valley Football Preseason Team, the conference announced on Tuesday. All of the players were first-team selections and seniors.

Running back Tevin McCaster, one of two backs in the MVFC to top 1,000 yards rushing, was one of the three backs selected. He’s joined by center Vitas Hrynkiewicz and guard Gavin Wiggins as well as long-snapper Steven Wethli. The Penguins’ four selections tie North Dakota State for most first-team selections for offense.

The defensive preseason team will be announced today.

More like this from vindy.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version