YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Lack of Early Football Excitement

<< < (3/10) > >>

go guins:

--- Quote from: YSUGO on July 11, 2018, 09:05:45 PM ---I keep hearing for 10 years that the MAC needs to move down.  Its not going to happen.   Sometimes I think we need to drop down to D2.

--- End quote ---
Non scholarship 1AA would make more sense.  Taylor made for Pioneer conference with Dayton Valpo, Butler etc.

guinpen:

--- Quote from: YSUGO on July 11, 2018, 09:05:45 PM ---I keep hearing for 10 years that the MAC needs to move down.  Its not going to happen.   Sometimes I think we need to drop down to D2.

--- End quote ---

May not be a case of some low end 1A schools moving down but rather the upper end 1A schools moving further up. Separation none the less.

D2 is not an option

IAA Fan:
I have also said this before, but at least for me, weekday games (in the MAC) are terrible. I do not care that we are filling a spot on ESPN, I drive 3-hours to get to the games and could never make any weekday games. Also, people that work the next day are not really going to tailgate, nor will there be any real room because the school cannot afford to miss the parking space on a weekday with classes. Even if I lived close and worked 8-5, I am not going to tailgate for an hour or less...and if the game was on-the-road, I would be lucky to just make the game.

go guins:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on July 13, 2018, 08:23:46 AM ---I have also said this before, but at least for me, weekday games (in the MAC) are terrible. I do not care that we are filling a spot on ESPN, I drive 3-hours to get to the games and could never make any weekday games. Also, people that work the next day are not really going to tailgate, nor will there be any real room because the school cannot afford to miss the parking space on a weekday with classes. Even if I lived close and worked 8-5, I am not going to tailgate for an hour or less...and if the game was on-the-road, I would be lucky to just make the game.

--- End quote ---
But you need to keep in mind, you are more the exception than the rule (number of guys driving 3 hours to YSU home games can't be many)  At least in the beginning, the MAC weeknight games we reminiscent of Monday Night Football, where it was an "event" more than just a regular season game.  This was a boost for the MAC, no question.   
BTW, I love your  "I would be lucky to just make the game" when you root for a team that plays most of there away games in the Dakotas, Iowa, Missouri!   That's why, when any of these "filler threads" get started to fill the time between FB seasons, I always go for the more local conference potential match-ups.  We are missing a TON not having regional rivals.  And playing FB in one conference and other sports in also costing us in match up enthusiasm.

IAA Fan:
Yes I agree I am the exception with the drive for home games, but I am also closer to Miami and OU than the average Penguin fan. As far as these games being a big event... It could not possibly be any bigger than a good fall Saturday game at YSU. The missing component there there is to continue winning games. Factor in that most YSU fans would rather watch the game than freeze.

The better option is to try and schedule MAC games again (staying I-AA). The next thing is to see if Strollo is willing to go to 2 IA games, the second one being a MAC school which will not pay more than any I-AA team. Then petition the MAC to allow certain MAC schools to travel to YSU. I would be willing to bet that the MAC would would give consideration to in-state I-AA opposition. However, most MAC schools have no issue finding an extra power conference game, so there may be no interest from the schools.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version