YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Eastern Michigan University budget woes prompt cutting of 4 sports programs

(1/7) > >>

IAA Fan:
Getting cut are softball, men’s swimming and diving, and women’s tennis and wrestling. With the change EMU, which previously led the Mid-American Conference with 21 sports, will now have 17 sports — seven men’s sports and 10 women’s sports. The school will remain in the MAC.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/03/20/eastern-michigan-university-budget-woes-prompt-cutting-4-sports-programs/440893002/

Kandrase:
... and stories like this are why I hope YSU never joins the MAC or jumps to FBS in general.

Kandrase:
Unless the MAC becomes an FCS conference, which I think is completely reasonable from a financial perspective but these schools alumni’s pride won’t let that happen.

Penguin Nick:
In a conference like the MAC, it's reasonable for each university to sponsor only 16 sports (EMU will now have 17).  I believe that many MAC schools spend money frivolously in areas that they probably don't need to.  I still want YSU to be in the MAC as a Division 1 football member if at all possible.    

IAA Fan:
The two YSU points for me are:

1. This is the 3rd MAC school with faculty, staff (now students) crying to drop football. YSU faculty has their athletic hating faculty like all academic institutions, but you don't hear all the screaming to drop football.

2. After some lean years in athletic spending (which brought about some wonderful academic buildings) we are now in a growth cycle on athletic dollar$. We may not have a lot, but we are better than most.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version