YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Nearly Half of NFL Teams Represented at YSU Football Pro Day

<< < (2/2)

go guins:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on March 15, 2018, 06:22:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: go guins on March 15, 2018, 02:33:03 PM ---
--- Quote ---Hard to believe our passing defense was so good with DBs that are unable to break 4.7.

--- End quote ---
Two relevant factors here.  1. our pass rush has been pivotal in improving our pass "coverage" that last couple years.  Take Rivers/Moss and then Chapman/Reed away and see how they hold up.  Second, our players are generally at 1-AA because they are too small, or too slow for 1-A, BUT the receivers are at 1AA for the same reason!  Fair matchup generally.  But go back to the WVU game in 2016 and look at how they WRs torched our DBs with SPEED.  Same for those two little guys from PITT last year, Henderson and Ollison.  They just out ran our DBs.

--- End quote ---
As did JMU

--- End quote ---
I was trying to blot that game out of my memory, so thanks for reminding me!  ...and yes, they certainly did.   

Kandrase:

--- Quote ---Hard to believe our passing defense was so good with DBs that are unable to break 4.7.

--- End quote ---
Two relevant factors here.  1. our pass rush has been pivotal in improving our pass "coverage" that last couple years.  Take Rivers/Moss and then Chapman/Reed away and see how they hold up.  Second, our players are generally at 1-AA because they are too small, or too slow for 1-A, BUT the receivers are at 1AA for the same reason!  Fair matchup generally.  But go back to the WVU game in 2016 and look at how they WRs torched our DBs with SPEED.  Same for those two little guys from PITT last year, Henderson and Ollison.  They just out ran our DBs.

--- End quote ---

I disagree, our DBs are slow by FCS standards.

Here are some numbers from other schools pro days:
Jacksonville State, Montana’s all came in under 4.7 and mostly under 4.6: check out this article
https://m.herosports.com/nfl-draft/fcs-2018-pro-day-kyle-lauletta-jacksonville-state-ajaj

go guins:

--- Quote from: Kandrase on March 16, 2018, 02:14:45 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Jacksonville State, Montana’s all came in under 4.7 and mostly under 4.6: check out this article
https://m.herosports.com/nfl-draft/fcs-2018-pro-day-kyle-lauletta-jacksonville-state-ajaj

--- End quote ---
Is your point Jacksonville's too slow DBs are a tenth faster than our too slow DBs?  Most of the DBs that will be drafted are 4.4 4.5 not 4.6 4.7 
Again, for the last couple years, the secret to our D was pass rush.  I suspect it will be good again this year.  We should have a playoff D, and it looks like we may have a 'one and done" QB that can play.  We have a much better receiving group than last year (and that's without seeing them play) and RB should be a strength.  IF but its a damn big IF, we find a couple OTs we should contend.

Kandrase:

--- Quote from: go guins on March 19, 2018, 08:47:35 AM ---
--- Quote from: Kandrase on March 16, 2018, 02:14:45 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Is your point Jacksonville's too slow DBs are a tenth faster than our too slow DBs?  Most of the DBs that will be drafted are 4.4 4.5 not 4.6 4.7 
Again, for the last couple years, the secret to our D was pass rush.  I suspect it will be good again this year.  We should have a playoff D, and it looks like we may have a 'one and done" QB that can play.  We have a much better receiving group than last year (and that's without seeing them play) and RB should be a strength.  IF but its a damn big IF, we find a couple OTs we should contend.

--- End quote ---

What I’m saying is that compared against other FCS schools our dbs are slow, not just slow by comparison to FBS. Just disappointed I guess, but you’re correct our pass rush has been good enough we didn’t really need speedsters in the defensive backfield.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version